PDA

View Full Version : Renovate old extractor

Beeman
04-03-2018, 12:49 PM
I ve been given a tin extractor which is in very good condition and has been well looked after. (No rust damage apparent) I would like to paint the interior with some form of coating to keep it going hopefully well into the future. Any ideas? Honey extracted only for personal use , well aware of food regulations and not for public sale!

Adam
05-03-2018, 11:18 AM
These old extractors continue to appear at auctions and on eBay. If there is no rust damage, and it has survived this long, do you really need to paint it?

Poly Hive
05-03-2018, 01:54 PM
If it is for personal use do what you like but please not for honey for sale.

PH

lindsay s
05-03-2018, 08:20 PM
My mentor had a tin extractor and a tin settling tank, they were painted with white gloss on the outside and were bare on the inside. A cold rinse followed by hot soapy water and another cold rinse was all that was needed to keep them clean. I used to get a loan of them when I first started beekeeping, our honey was bottled and sold in his chemist shop and it never hurt anyone. He did once have a mishap with his settling tank, the honey valve was slack and somehow his dog managed to knock it open. The end result was tens of pounds of honey all over the kitchen floor!!!

Poly Hive
05-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Aye no doubt but the days of selling laudanum over the counter are past and so is tinplate kit.

lindsay s
05-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Aye no doubt but the days of selling laudanum over the counter are past and so is tinplate kit.
I agree with you Poly Hive. l’ve had Thomas stainless steel kit for the last 25 years and it’s still as good as new.

madasafish
06-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Tin cans which contain human food are sprayed with an internal coating of food safe lacquer which is then oven baked to dry it. Too much coating is as bad as too little as it can peel off. Painting by hand internally is likely to give a poor and too thick coverage prone to peeling..

I would confine tin extractors to a museum.

RDMW
28-05-2018, 07:39 PM
I took mine to the dump last week. [emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro