PDA

View Full Version : Wasps

Jimbo
19-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Where are all these wasps coming from? They are early this year. I have already lost a nuc colony to them even though it had a small entrance. Anyone got plans for a cheap and simple wasp catcher?

Jimbo

Hoomin_erra
19-07-2010, 11:03 AM
There is one on the Beekeekpingforum. It uses a 2 litre pet bottle, some fruit, and a bit of string.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5548&highlight=wasp+trap&page=2

Looks quite easy to make.

Brian
31-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Jimbo
Hoomin-erra is probably quite right as far as cheapness goes; indeed any 2 litre bottle with an inch of water in the bottom will work if you spread some jam inside (eg-with a piece of cane) around the neck. Leave that standing anywhere (near your nukes?) will attract any wasps nearbye. Those of you who have an outhouse or shed in which you do your extracting of honey might try this:- Fit a bog-standard fluorescent tube light (You need light in it anyway) at the DARK end of your shed. Before, during, and after extraction leave the light on (yes! 24hrs a day) and every wasp for miles around will come to visit. And STAY. Once gorged on the loose honey the dear wee wasp will rise up and fly "into the light" where it will dance against the tube until it drops, exhausted, and dies. You will need a bucket to remove the bodies. Oh! Almost forgot! What about the honey bees 'wot' come in for a free feed. Simple! Fit an ordinary 40 - 60 watt bulb to the LIGHT end of said shed/outhouse near the open door/window. The honey bees will NOT be attracted to the fluorescent tube but will be attracted to the bulb (An ordinary bulb! I don't know if the energy saving types will do) but will then fly out the door/window. Try it! After a week to 10 days your outhouse/shed will be an awesome sight. The year after I discovered that we had no wasps at all. But they are back this year.

gavin
31-08-2010, 01:23 PM
There is one on the Beekeekpingforum.

Doesn't have to be that complex. I'm just back from visiting my wasp traps (and bees) and hope to report on it later tonight. My favourite design didn't come from that forum - perhaps it was the Irish list. Anyway ... stay tuned and I'll put up some pictures and more comments tonight.

I had to empty mine as the wasps were so thick there was no room for any more to drown!

G.

PS I should really remove that link as that is what the Admin does over there .... but that ain't my style.