PDA

View Full Version : The heather season

gavin
19-07-2010, 12:47 AM
I see that there was a suggestion on another forum that the heather might be early down south despite the late start to the season. Anyone have any observations in Scotland (or Ulster, if you like)?

G.

Neils
19-07-2010, 01:11 AM
we've heather down here that people take their bees to, I'll ask those that do if it's earlier here if you like. (I don't move my bees so no idea)

Hoomin_erra
19-07-2010, 07:10 AM
I was up through Braemar and Glenshee yesterday to the Cabrach. It is definitly starting. There were small patches of purple starting out.

gavin
19-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Was that the deep purple of the bell heather? Usually a July thing anyway .... you'll get to know the two types before long!

G.

Stromnessbees
19-07-2010, 09:01 AM
The first purple batches of bell heather have been out for a week now here in Orkney. I wonder if the bees will go for it though as the white clover is flowering at the same time.

Doris

gavin
19-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Is that about the usual time, do you know? I'm not usually a watcher of the bell heather, but I do time a flit to the hills for ling.

Stromnessbees
19-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Last year I noticed the first flowers of bell heather in the last week of June. So we are still about 2 weeks behind this year.

Doris

Jon
19-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I was walking in the Mournes last weekend and the bell heather was well in flower but no Ling yet.

Hoomin_erra
19-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Yup, it was Bell.

linchpin
19-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Bell is out,being worked by bumbbles,Ling is still behind for this time of year. just few very very small embreo flowers starting (very small)

L..

beeanne
19-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Not yet out on Loch Lomondside (apparantly). I read (Oliver Field) that a dry May = a poor year for heather, but a few people (all non-beekeepers) have since said this is rubbish. So, anyone know if a dry spring lead to a lack of heather honey?

Jimbo
19-07-2010, 06:11 PM
There is bell out near loch lomondside and has been out for a few weeks. The Ling usually comes out in the first fortnight in Aug in our area. I have heard that you need the right conditions for the ling to produce good nectar and although the flowers may be out does not mean you will get a good crop. This does not take into consideration getting the correct weather conditions for the bees to work it.

drumgerry
20-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Just a few patches of bell at the roadside around here. No sign of any ling flowers yet but I wouldn't expect them until a good way into august. Interestingly we had a pretty wet May (June on the other hand....) and I noted the same point made by Oliver Field - we'll see if he's right or not!

Gerry