PDA

View Full Version : Just starting a new hive

georgieboy3
06-07-2010, 10:11 PM
need some help with setting up of a new hive,anyone help?

gavin
06-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Where are you? Do you already have bees?

If none of us are close enough to help, we may know a man/woman who is ....

georgieboy3
07-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the reply gavin,im in alloa and i have three orchards with lots of fruit trees etc and ive allways liked the idea of keeping bees,ive bought a small beginners hive but would like to icrease this after i learn a bit about them,money is not an assue so i can buy what ever is needed
regards
george.

Jimbo
07-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Hi Georgieboy3,

It is best if you make contact with your local association. To find the nearest to you go to the SBA web page and under FAQ you will find a list of contacts. Most associations run beginner courses and may help you source local bees. They may also set you up with a mentor in your first year. You want to source local bees if possible and not to purchase bees from the internet or from outside the country as you run the risk of bringing in diseases that may affect your local bee colonies. It may mean you having to wait to get your bees but it is worth it. You mention you have a small beginners hive . Do you know the make or type of hive. The most popular hive in Scotland is a National or Smith hive. You can get other types.

Jimbo

gavin
07-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi George

There is an excellent association in Dunblane and Stirling which may be your closest.

http://www.dsbka.net/

They run well-organised beginners classes early in the year, as does the Fife Beekeeping Association.

Until then, I'm sure that you'll find people here willing to answer specific questions.

all the best

Gavin

georgieboy3
08-07-2010, 08:27 AM
thanks for the help
george.