PDA

View Full Version : Winter preperation and location of stores.

Greengage
24-08-2016, 07:30 AM
Where is it best to have the colony cluster over the winter in the brood box.
1. If it is in the centre of the box and there are stores fore and aft, if the cluster moves forward it can become isiolated from stores behind.
2. If it moves back it can be come isoloated from store to the front.
3. Therefore should I organise the cluster so that all stores are either behind it to to the front.
Hope this makes sense.

Feckless Drone
24-08-2016, 08:31 AM
Where is it best to have the colony cluster over the winter in the brood box.

It might simply be more important to ensure you have a big enough colony, with sufficient stores and a sound, well insulated hive to take care of this. Then, if for some reason you suspect that emergency feeding is needed put fondant directly over the cluster. A strong colony can be very adept at moving stores around.
If you are worried about the size of the colony you could consider wintering in a poly-nuc box.

Greengage
24-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Cheers thanks for that

Emma
24-08-2016, 08:56 PM
One reason I run mine "warm way" (= frames parallel to front of hive) is that they pretty reliably make the nest a frame or two back from the entrance, and stash any extra stores behind. So they know to back into the stores over winter.
But I'd agree with FD - enough bees, enough stores, and a dry box where they can keep warm, and you've got the vital basics covered.

madasafish
25-08-2016, 03:54 PM
I have just painted (Hammerite Garage Door paint- green) 4 Lang hive cosies for fitting when dry. 100mm thick roof, 50mm walls.
Nearly as good as a poly hive ..

Emma
25-08-2016, 06:12 PM
I have just painted (Hammerite Garage Door paint- green) 4 Lang hive cosies for fitting when dry. 100mm thick roof, 50mm walls.
Hive cosies. That is _such_ a good word for them - I haven't heard it before.
What do you make yours out of?

alancooper
25-08-2016, 07:53 PM

What do they look like? - and made from?

The Drone Ranger
25-08-2016, 10:58 PM
GG if you have enough broodboxes then Ian Craig's way of moving stores over the cluster area using double brood and fat spacers is pretty foolproof
Look for his "My Beekeeping Year" article on SBA website for details

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

madasafish
26-08-2016, 06:17 AM
Hive cosies. That is _such_ a good word for them - I haven't heard it before.
What do you make yours out of?

What do they look like? - and made from?

I use insulation board. Usually 50mm thick but also 35mm and 25mm . I prefer 50mm. I buy it all used/unwanted on Gumtree/Preloved or ebay with a target price of around £5 a board (vs new £15).

The top is 100mm thick.

Glued with 5 minute PU glue (ebay http://tinyurl.com/zkrl7cq ) and held together for gluing with wooden skewers - old lolly sticks or Macdonalds stirrers/skewers (FOC). Joints sealed with aluminium tape (Wickes). http://tinyurl.com/j988ggv

EDIT: I will post more pictures later on...Done 6/9

Greengage
30-08-2016, 08:19 AM
GG if you have enough broodboxes then Ian Craig's way of moving stores over the cluster area using double brood and fat spacers is pretty foolproof
Look for his "My Beekeeping Year" article on SBA website for details

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

found the article thanks

madasafish
30-08-2016, 09:36 AM
More pictures

Emma
06-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the pics, Madasafish! The couple I've tried are similar construction. Fairly thin board - was lying around after an old hut was taken down - and very fragile. I hadn't thought it might be scroungable online, great tip, thank you.
Why do you paint them? & what kind of paint sticks?