PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Extractor

David Morland
27-05-2016, 12:44 PM
I wonder if any of our members has come across an extractor like this. I found it in our bothy when we moved in 20 years ago and I reconditioned it and have used it successfully in the past. It will take 4 deep and 4 shallow frames, or 8 shallow frames and is manual. The direction of spin can be changed to avoid having to reverse the frames. The design appears to be an offset radial type but I cannot find any references on the internet.

Mellifera Crofter
27-05-2016, 11:47 PM
That's an interesting set-up, David - and no, I've never seen one like that before.
Kitta

gavin
27-05-2016, 11:55 PM
Me neither. I suppose it can pack more comb into a smaller area with an arrangement like that. However with the centre of gravity (?!) closer to the middle the centrifugal force will be weaker for a certain turning speed.

Neils
31-05-2016, 12:25 AM
interesting design. I'd have thought the bigger concern than the weaker force is that it's not Stainless Steel.

David Morland
31-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Yes - you're right Neils. I haven't used it for several years and the preparation of honey must be hygienic. Better the polythene or stainless extractors (with and without motors). Still a curio and I'd like to know more about it.

Neils
31-05-2016, 09:25 PM
It's certainly an interesting find and I can't say I've seen that particular design before either. I will try and remember to show those photos to one of the guys down here, if anyone I can think of is likely to know anything about it it'll be him.