PDA

View Full Version : Another beginner

achnandarrach
28-06-2010, 10:40 AM
We live on the coast of Mid Argyll - large garden - surrounded by ample hillside. Would imagine already to late in the year to start a bee colony afresh - but would appreciate advice on what to get and how to prepare for next Spring.

Jimbo
28-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Achnandarrach,

I think the nearest association to your location is Oban. I would strongly advise you join the association. You should be able to get a Secretary contact from the SBA web site. They may run beginner courses over the winter and may also be able to source local bees for you. It is best if you get local bees and not to buy from the internet or purchase imported bees as you run the risk of bringing in bee diseases into your area. This usually requires you to wait a bit longer for your first colony. It is not too late to start colony this year but you would be best to get your site ready and to get you equipment together and well as some instruction and mentoring from a beekeeper. I live on the West Coast and supply bees on a first come basis. I have no bees available at the moment but may have spare nuc colonies later in the year. If you still have problems sourcing bees you can put your name down for a nuc colony for next year.

Jimbo

achnandarrach
29-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for that - now in touch with Phil Moss - lots of good encouragement and advice

Trog
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Welcome, Achnandarrach! Glad you've found Phil. I'd advise you to learn as much as you can this year then get your first bees LOCALLY next spring. (Maybe even get on the waiting list now!) There are still places in your area varroa-free so check with Phil before bringing in any bees, even from the Oban area.