Lancs Lad
02-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Any Thoughts
http://www.lasiqueenbees.com/our-queen-bees.html

Feckless Drone
02-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Any Thoughts
http://www.lasiqueenbees.com/our-queen-bees.html

Yeah, I generally stick to the maxim - if it sounds too good to be true, then ......
These are being sold from a university unit, I think at £45 or £70 each.

alclosier
02-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Don't miss the £500 ones...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fatshark
02-05-2016, 05:34 PM
These are being sold from a university unit, I think at £45 or £70 each.
And if the University is taking it's normal 'cut' they're more or less giving them away ... an interesting business model.

Black Comb
02-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Last year (from forum members), Irish queens were £35 and Scottish ones £40 (both amm), so £45 is not excessive.
I could not see any mention of which subspecies.

The Drone Ranger
02-05-2016, 08:05 PM
I remember not so long ago it was about £15 for a pretty decent Carniolan queen and about a tenner for a local mutt :)

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Jon
02-05-2016, 09:55 PM
The Lasi ones are 'near native' I think.
£45 is a fair price if they have decent varroa tolerance.

The Drone Ranger
03-05-2016, 12:26 AM
That must be a near native of Denmark though :)

Greengage
03-05-2016, 08:07 AM
"Virgin Daughters of Hygienic Breeder Queens
Virgin daughters are also reared from the same hygienic breeder colonies. They will be mailed to beekeepers when they are a few days old to introduce into a queenless colony and then to mate when aged about one week. Although virgin queens less often sold by queen rearers, we plan to do so to increase the supply of hygienic queens. In addition, there are two other potential advantages for a beekeeper: 1) they are cheaper; 2) by mating with local drones the resulting workers will have a combination of local genes from the drones and hygienic genes from the queen."
So if they mate with Local drones could they not pick up STDs and if the drones are mongrols will they not pass on thier genes to offspring so your back to square one. I see they are near native, again are we back to Micro sattelite Markers it will be great for us mortals when we can see polymorphic DNA loci containing repeated nucleotide sequences, in the field. Also cheap is not always best and best is not always cheap.

fatshark
03-05-2016, 08:36 AM

I agree ... what I don't understand is how they can sell them at that price from a University with the staffing involved ... and with the usual University cut of £lots. Even if all the work is being done 'out of hours' there's presumably use of University facilities, and the sales all go through the Sussex website.

Of course, if they're good queens it's likely to be great publicity ...

prakel
03-05-2016, 09:04 AM

It certainly is, their prices are on par with similar material available on the continent but without the extra import costs.

That must be a near native of Denmark though :)

That's OK if they're brown!

Adam
13-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Virgin queens a few days old are not always well accepted, even in a mini-nuc.

Greengage
13-05-2016, 12:06 PM
Virgin queens a few days old are not always well accepted, even in a mini-nuc.

Can you elaborate on this a little more as Iam curious to know reasons why. thanks.