PDA

View Full Version : Complete beginner in Central Scotland

munky
28-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Hello to all. Please allow me to introduce myself.

I have had an interest in beekeeping for a number of years and would like to learn more about it. I would also like to take the qualifications at some point in the future. I find the recent CCD issue very alarming, as I'm sure everyone here does. I would like to try and do my part to help preserve something so small but so important to our environment and indeed our food supplies. I would also like to pass this knowledge onto my children if they share an interest. I would feel a complete failure if they thought their food grew in plastic bags and jars on farm Tesco!

I would be very grateful to anyone who would be willing to offer any advice on where or how I should start out. I'm limited to a back garden with a young daughter who has an insatiable curiosity so hives at home is not an option at the moment. If there is anyone in the Falkirk/Stirling area who would be willing to take on an apprentice, I would be more than happy to hear from them.

Best regards,

Ian

beeanne
28-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi Ian,

The best thing to do would be to join the local assocation - Stirling and Dunblane Beekeepers is probably your nearest. They do winter courses for beginners, which will be invaluable. They have various meetings and apiary visits throughout the year, too. See http://www.dsbka.net. Recommend them very highly (I'm a member). I don't have enough experience to advise/educate anyone else though!

Hugh
28-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Ian.

Anne is right the Stirling and Dunblane Beekeepers is great, I'm a member as well. They are a friendly bunch and will help you with every question and worry you will have.
I've been to the beginners class this year and it has given me a firm understanding of what is required to Keep Bees, that is one reason that I have deferred starting a hive just now until I in a suitable position to keep the bees in the best possible way, but I am prepairing. I am getting all the kit together so I will be ready to go ASAP. ;)