PDA

View Full Version : Module 5 - mouth parts

Mellifera Crofter
15-03-2016, 04:55 PM
I'll be sitting Module 5 on Saturday, so I'm looking through some previous exam papers.

One of them has this drawing of honey bee mouth parts. Does anybody know what the bulge marked F is? The PDF is too big to upload here, so here's a link to Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRABt_Rp9a6TFU5cEVNOW56M0E/view?usp=sharing). I thought E points to a maxillian palp - so it's probably not that.

Kitta

Greengage
15-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Im only guessing but would they be the Glosssa, I would be interested to know what the right answer would be for all parts, thanks.
I also found this if its any help. http://courses.biology.utah.edu/feener/5445/Lecture/Bio5445%20Lecture%2010.pdf

Mellifera Crofter
15-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Thanks Greengage, the drawing of the honey bee mouth parts in your link is interesting because it gives a good idea of the position of some of the overlapping parts.

No - the glossa is the tongue. It's marked either L or B - who knows! L could be the salivary canal and B the glossa; or L could be the glossa and B the hair on the glossa.

I've not seen F drawn on any drawing before, and it's not on the drawing you've linked to either.

Kitta

Mellifera Crofter
15-03-2016, 06:33 PM
...I would be interested to know what the right answer would be for all parts, thanks. ...

Oh - the other parts are (and correct me if I'm wrong):

H - mandible
G - postmentum
I - stipe
J - prementum
E - maxillian palp
K - galea of maxilla
C - labial palp
D - paraglossa
A - flabellum (or labellum)
L and B mentioned above; and
F - I don't know.

Kitta

EK.Bee
15-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Lacinia

Mellifera Crofter
15-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Thank you, EK! For some reason I thought the laciniae were the flattish flag part of the galea because the dictionary describes it as 'a long narrow inner lobe of an arthropod'. I now see that I actually do have a drawing showing a lacinia in my Celia Davis book. I've completely missed it. Thanks again,
Kitta

Mellifera Crofter
15-03-2016, 10:21 PM
PS - actually, on that link Greengage gave it says 'laciniae are lost', and I also read somewhere else that the maxillae are devoid of laciniae. So, do honey bees have them or not? Curious.

Kitta

Greengage
16-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the information, I would only have got one right, I have printed it off and added your answers for future reference, Best of luck with the exam.

Mellifera Crofter
16-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Thanks Greengage. If you're interested in honey bee anatomy and all things bee-related (but not management or bee keeping) - the two Celia Davis books are really good.

Kitta

The Drone Ranger
16-03-2016, 12:36 PM
I admire your dedication folks
Do vets still have to walk their dogs :)

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Mellifera Crofter
16-03-2016, 06:54 PM
Do vets still have to walk their dogs :)

John, I'm lost. That sounds very cryptic to me. Actually, that's quite good. I'll just imagine a meaning, like reading the I-Ching.
Kitta

The Drone Ranger
16-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Sorry Kitta
It meant as a joke really
I keep chickens I know the basic biology and their illnesses that's about it
We had a dog I could tell he was ill and knew to watch for fleas or worms
I have bees but apart from their basic makeup and diseases I don't know much about their internal organs
So if someone becomes a vet they need to know everything about a dog biology but at the end of the day they still have to walk him like the rest of us

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Mellifera Crofter
16-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Sorry Kitta
It meant as a joke really....

I know - I did understand that. Now I understand it all. I'll never know as much as a vet or an entomologist - but I'm learning, and like the vet walking his dog, I'll continue to inspect my colonies.

"The team horse goes astray.
No blame."
I-Ching

Greengage
16-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Worker bees can leave,
Even drones can fly away,
The Queen is their slave.
(Tom Martin)

SDM
17-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Worker bees can leave,