PDA

View Full Version : Australian Honey most contaminated.

Greengage
08-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Looks like the Aussies have a problem,Australian honey is the most contaminated in the world and contains cancer-causing toxins as a result of lenient food-safety standards, according to new research.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/30624544/australian-honey-is-most-contaminated-in-the-world-research-reveals/

busybeephilip
08-03-2016, 01:50 PM
That "Pattersons Curse" looks very like the hawthorn flower , glad we dont have that here

Greengage
08-03-2016, 02:03 PM
I think I would have to disagree with you there as they are not at all similar.

busybeephilip
08-03-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm looking at the flowers not the leaf

Looks like I am wrong, and stand corrected, the white flower with the spoon id not pattersons curse but something else :-)
pattersons curse seems to be a blue flower in google images

2605 still glad we (i think) don't have it wide spread

wikipedia:#
Toxicity[edit]
Echium plantagineum contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids and is poisonous.[10] When eaten in large quantities, it causes reduced livestock weight and death, in severe cases. Paterson's curse can kill horses[11] and irritate the udders of dairy cows and the skin of humans. After the 2003 Canberra bushfires a large bloom of the plant occurred on the burned land, and many horses became ill and died from grazing on it.[12] Because the alkaloids can also be found in the nectar of Paterson's curse, the honey made from it should be blended with other honeys to dilute the toxins.

The Drone Ranger
08-03-2016, 04:50 PM
I have heard similar things about ragwort and rhododendrons
I find rhododendrons particularly offensive because I can't spell the bleedin name
(added as number 5 on todays list of minor irritations)

I think theres another Australian bush that they have to move the bees away from when it is in flower
A Canadian beekeeper I used to chat to had to fend off all sorts of wildlife from the hives

We have it easy really
I think a controlled release of honey badgers might add some spice to beekeeping in Scotland :)

the spokesperson said, adding that the toxin in Australia has a lower toxicity than the standard used overseas.
Well thats alright then, no worries Bruce ?

Calluna4u
08-03-2016, 07:23 PM
The flower is I think Manuka and its a library publicity shot. Australian name Jellybush. Leptospermum scoparium. http://www.nznativeplants.co.nz/site/nativeplantc/images/originals/Leptospermum%20scoparium%20in%20flower%20October.1 .jpg

Calluna4u
08-03-2016, 07:27 PM
the spokesperson said, adding that the toxin in Australia has a lower toxicity than the standard used overseas.
Well thats alright then, no worries Bruce ?

Actually that's entirely possible. I think, to date, there are somewhere around 600 different PA's in food, many of them found in varying amounts in honey.

They are of a wide variety of toxicities, and some are even deemed beneficial.

Don't shoot the Aussies till you have tested your borage (if you have any).....its an exceptionally high in PA's honey.

Greengage
08-03-2016, 07:40 PM
I'm looking at the flowers not the leaf

Looks like I am wrong, and stand corrected, the white flower with the spoon id not pattersons curse but something else :-)
pattersons curse seems to be a blue flower in google images

2605 still glad we (i think) don't have it wide spread

wikipedia:#
Toxicity[edit]
Echium plantagineum contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids and is poisonous.[10] When eaten in large quantities, it causes reduced livestock weight and death, in severe cases. Paterson's curse can kill horses[11] and irritate the udders of dairy cows and the skin of humans. After the 2003 Canberra bushfires a large bloom of the plant occurred on the burned land, and many horses became ill and died from grazing on it.[12] Because the alkaloids can also be found in the nectar of Paterson's curse, the honey made from it should be blended with other honeys to dilute the toxins.
You had me worried there whew. if you google Mad Honey there is an article on Rhododendron ponticum honey,

The Drone Ranger
09-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Actually that's entirely possible. I think, to date, there are somewhere around 600 different PA's in food, many of them found in varying amounts in honey.

They are of a wide variety of toxicities, and some are even deemed beneficial.

Don't shoot the Aussies till you have tested your borage (if you have any).....its an exceptionally high in PA's honey.

I know but wheres the fun in that ? :)

The Drone Ranger
09-03-2016, 03:52 PM
GG
just a little snip from your link

Greek warrior-writer Xenophon in 401 BC in his Anabasis “… but the swarms of bees in the neighborhood were numerous, and the soldiers who ate of the honey all went of their heads, and suffered from vomiting and diarrhea, and not one of them could stand up, but those who had eaten a little were like people exceedingly drunk, while those who had eaten a great deal seemed like crazy, or even, in some cases, dying men. So they lay there in great numbers as though the army had suffered a defeat, and great despondency prevailed. On the next day, however, no one had died,
What an anticlimax

Greengage
10-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Ha your wrong How many of them are alive now. Point proven.