PDA

View Full Version : To Clip or not to Clip that is the Question.

Greengage
22-02-2016, 09:57 PM
I have two queens unclipped at the moment (All going well so far) Come spring should I clip or leave unclipped just wondering what any of you would do, Tks.

Jon
22-02-2016, 10:38 PM
I clip all of mine, usually in Spring.
Does them no harm as I have one going into her 5th season minus half a wing and there is a similar one at the association apiary.
neither has tried to swarm and I would expect them to get superseded at some point this year.

fatshark
22-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Clip all mine ... all part of trying to be a 'good neighbour' ...
I know there's at least one late-season supercedure to be clipped at the first inspection of the year.

The Drone Ranger
23-02-2016, 01:40 AM
I dont clip my queens I do try and make sure they dont fly away just the same

Greengage
23-02-2016, 08:43 AM
Tks for the info, Last year I had clippped queens and they both swarmed, luckily I was able to retrieve them as I happpened to be on site, Just because they are clipped does not mean they will not swarm, yes the bees will probably return to the hive, but will they swarm with the first newly hatched queen anyway.I have read where workers will see her as damaged also if she is clipped will she not be a little unbalanced when walking arounnd or able to right herself if she fell over.
Another to add to my list of bee myths "Clipped queens do not swarm"

prakel
23-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Another to add to my list of bee myths "Clipped queens do not swarm"

True, it is a myth in the strict sense. But, I think that being clipped may well discourage (at least some) queens from leaving the hive. Anyway, I've seen clipped queens apparently making no effort to leave hives with sealed cells during particularly nice weather. Nothing wrong with them either and afterwards, they've gone on to live useful lives once.

busybeephilip
23-02-2016, 11:03 AM
I think that being clipped may well discourage (at least some) queens from leaving the hive. Anyway, I've seen clipped queens apparently making no effort to leave hives with sealed cells during particularly nice weather.

Actually, this is observation about not swarming with cells in good weather is quite interesting. The same has happened to me too last season when I was not able to examine some hives due to pressure on my time. Several of my hives contained sealed cells and when i see this i usually assume the swarm has gone off but the presence of fresh eggs gives away the presence of the queen in residence. I do clip but my out apiary hives are 2 feet off the ground and it would be very unlikely that a Q could crawl back in after a swarm issues

At the time I put it down to the very erratic and sparse honey flow and weather conditions last season making bees perhaps delay swarming.

Greengage
23-02-2016, 11:13 AM
I should have said with my swarm with a clipped queen, I put them back in a nuc, was the queen with them when I rehoused them I dont know, But 2 hours later they were gone again across the horizon, probably with a new queen I suspect, so where did the old queen go?? bird food, died somewhere, got walked on or left behind crawling in grass maybe she moulted and grew new wings mystery to me. Im tempted to not clip but I could regret it if my observation skills are not up to scratch. Also the weather was very good when they decided to leave.

prakel
23-02-2016, 11:26 AM
my out apiary hives are 2 feet off the ground and it would be very unlikely that a Q could crawl back in after a swarm issues

At the time I put it down to the very erratic and sparse honey flow and weather conditions last season making bees perhaps delay swarming.

Yes, seen it in our flood prone apiaries where the hives are on high stands so I too am inclined to believe that they never flew (but I suppose I'd need DR and the tech boys to build some fancy monitors to prove it one way or the other).

Also, observed it over a period of a few years. The one factor which does seem to be consistant is the amount of wing which has been clipped.

The Drone Ranger
23-02-2016, 11:30 AM
I don't mind tree climbing in Summer :)

prakel
23-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Im tempted to not clip but I could regret it if my observation skills are not up to scratch.

In a perfect world I'd choose not to clip, everytime, but I continue to do so because I personally think that it's actually preferable to painting queens. Helps with practical management too, of course, so I suppose I'll continue.

Neils
26-02-2016, 01:46 AM
I don't mind tree climbing in Summer :)
I don't for mine, it did become a bigger problem for me being constantly called out to bees hanging off trees near my apiary that I knew for sure weren't mine (even without clipping).

Pragmatism means that this year I will start clipping despite now being in the desolate wilds of Somerset where I, occasionally, wouldn't mind the odd swarm now and again. Nothing worse than coming back to that nice big hive that's going to bring you in a stack of honey, and that you've watched like a hawk to find it half full and that one queen cell that you find now hanging open.

The Drone Ranger
26-02-2016, 11:41 AM
New` Queen though? thats £40 on the open market , so that offsets the loss of honey a bit :)
It doesn't seem fair to maim a fellow creature and stop them following their nature
Fooling them in to staying put isn't so bad
Sometimes one has to go when the offspring are fierce but that's quick

Adam
02-03-2016, 03:24 PM
I clip and mark mine. If they wriggle when young then I will mark them only and leave the clipping until later - most should have been clipped in the year of their emergence although some might remain intact until spring the following year. Never seen any issues with replacement of clipped queens. It does help with swarm control for the odd beekeeper mistake; the workers swarm and return; more often than not the queen can be re-used - either she is on the grass in front of the hive; has crawled back in or is underneath.
Tip: Don't put a queen you find on the grass in the open back of your car in a queen cage to "deal with later". That is, if you don't want the swarm to find her!

Greengage
02-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Sounds like your speaking from experience of an episode.

nemphlar
02-03-2016, 08:34 PM
A few years back spent a lovely afternoon talking bees with Eric Mc when I mentioned I clipped my queens he gave me a look that was so fierce I've never clipped them since. Makes me laugh to think of it, but I still don't clip them. Snelgroves the answer

gavin
03-03-2016, 12:25 AM
Snelgroves the answer

Another answer is not taking Eric's fierce looks too seriously ;)

nemphlar
03-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Strangely similar to the looks I used to get from my mother in law Gavin, who even on her death bed managed to give me a "Stupid boy " look. Bless her

Adam
04-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Sounds like your speaking from experience of an episode.

Yup!
We learn by our mistakes! :)

The Drone Ranger
04-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Yup!
We learn by our mistakes! :)

could this help when taking bees to the heather ?