PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man Varroa-free status threatened ... ?

fatshark
17-02-2016, 09:06 PM
A worrying report has just popped up (on the BKF) reporting the importation of bees to the Isle of Man (http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-beekeeper-s-bid-to-trace-imported-colony-1-7733790) ... presumably with their associated Varroa. It's not clear what the evidence is ... all they quote is a bee inspector (Harry Owens) asking for the importer to come forward. I hope he's not hoping the packet of Apistan he's carrying is going to save the day.

Jon
17-02-2016, 10:12 PM
The IoM beekeepers have background info re the island status here (http://www.iombeekeepers.com/legals/)

fatshark
17-02-2016, 10:30 PM
But no mention on the website of what prompted the newspaper article ...

Odd time of the year to be identifying anything new in the hive and I suppose they don't use OMF's or Varroa trays (lucky blighters), so perhaps the story is either old or just a rumour.

gavin
17-02-2016, 11:45 PM
You can never trust what you read in the papers regarding beekeeping but it does look as if Harry Owens thinks there's a possibility. There have been several introductions to Varroa-free places in Scotland yet it didn't get established. However that is due to topography and the thinly scattered nature of beekeepers in the W and N. The IoM will not be so lucky - once it is there it will stay.

If there is a commercial supplier behind this they should be named and shamed.

Calluna4u
18-02-2016, 09:32 AM
You can never trust what you read in the papers regarding beekeeping but it does look as if Harry Owens thinks there's a possibility. There have been several introductions to Varroa-free places in Scotland yet it didn't get established. However that is due to topography and the thinly scattered nature of beekeepers in the W and N. The IoM will not be so lucky - once it is there it will stay.

If there is a commercial supplier behind this they should be named and shamed.

Was talking to my Manx connection last night on an unrelated matter. Mentioned this story.

Apparently there are some very 'antsy' small scale beekeepers over there and such rumours are not uncommon and have always, up to now at least, proven to be groundless.

As the biggest beekeeper on the island (still not large) he has been obliquely accused of this himself with no reason other than the acute nervousness of a few people. He was in fact bringing in new frames and other hive parts, roofs etc and no bees. (He had a share in an order of gear I brought in from Lithuania.)

There are precious few facts in the story and a certainty that they will have varroa. Really? What if it was just someone buying a queen? What if they came from the apparent flavour of the month, Colonsay (directly or indirectly)? (Not saying it doesn't matter, just that its by no means a 100% sure that they will have varroa.)

I think 'reports' of an import in that location where there are some very jumpy folk, WOULD carry a name with it, and it would be known about widely, yet if the story is correctly reported than no=one seems to know?

FWIW Gavin........though not a lot of people seem to believe anyone who treads on the 'dark side' (or should that be yellow side or grey?).........I for one have never supplied any live bees, queens, nucs, or packages, to the Isle of Man.

If it is true, I would suspect it happened as many advances of varroa did....the uneducated, the ignorant, the unaware, (Occasionally the selfish) bring their OWN bees with them when moving there (they don't want to leave their much loved pets behind). It will happen some day, but that's no reason not to keep the vigilance up. The professional bee suppliers KNOW IOM is off limits. If any of them knowingly did it they should be for the high jump as it is reputationally catastrophic for bee vendors in general.

Jon
18-02-2016, 12:00 PM
If it is true, I would suspect it happened as many advances of varroa did....the uneducated, the ignorant, the unaware, (Occasionally the selfish) bring their OWN bees with them when moving there

That was my assumption as well, or possibly someone on the 'save the bees' bandwagon.

We got varroa in Ireland 6 years after it arrived in England, in 1998, when some clown drove in colonies from England in the back of a van.

The Drone Ranger
18-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Well they certainly can afford those queens on IOM whether there would be any available might be another matter
Personally I am happy with a good local queen who's bees bring in the honey without mauling me :)
I have bought various queens over the years but in the end they just merge into the hybrid population

Your not on the dark side C4u its the Italian question that divides
You might be thinking of "The Blackshirts" but they've been replaced by ice cream vendors now

"the uneducated, the ignorant, the unaware" you haven't been speaking to my mum about me I hope :}

The Drone Ranger
20-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Is it time to take the mouse guards off the hives now ?
Whats a good way to recondition my cedar hives they all look a bit scruffy ?

Neils
26-02-2016, 02:24 AM
I thought mouse guards were largely to prevent the hungry wee beasties parking up in a hive at the start of winter. Winter has now finally decided to arrive but this is about the time I'd normally start to think about removing mouse guards.

As for tarting up the hives, I've been using Cuprinol Shades for a few years now. It's not technically "bee safe", but it's water based and non of my bees seem bothered by it compared to the bigger mistakes I tend to make.

The Drone Ranger
26-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Hi Neils

I think you are right I'm taking them off I always wonder if a visiting mouse running in and out will disturb them
Probably there is no chance of one taking up residence now (unless he bees are very torpid)
If they are struggling though a mouse might finish them off ? just a guess

Are your hives cedar Neils ?
I had the hive paint from thornes one year but a lot/most of my boxes are still untreated
Didn't get any new ones this year in the sale (too slow) so I'll have to be quicker this year

Neils
26-02-2016, 11:09 AM
All mine are cedar and never had an issue. Being water based paint there's no obvious fumes but I still give it a week or so between painting and putting bees in

The Drone Ranger
26-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Thanks for that I'll give it a go
Cuprinol shades is easy to find and not too dear

Mellifera Crofter
26-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Boiled linseed oil?
Kitta

fatshark
26-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Ronseal Fence Life is the stuff I use ... probably exactly the same as Cuprinol Shades, just different packaging (he says cynically). Definitely no use whatsoever for poly hives ... been there, done that.