PDA

View Full Version : Varroa Monitering IPM

Greengage
16-02-2016, 02:42 PM
One of the advantages of keeping bees as a hobby there is always time to experiment after all Iam not relying on the honey produced to survive, One of my problems last year was Varroa mites, but i monitored the situation by carrying out Treatments with Apistan and Apibioxal. I also tried IPM , using the sugar roll method to monitor infestation and drone uncapping. I came accros this method where a tower hive configuration is used it is simply two hives placed side by side. When the hives are ready to be supered, the super is placed over the top of the center of the adjoining hives. In order to keep the queens separate, a flat queen excluder is placed under the super, on top of each brood area ensuring the queens will never meet, but that the workers will get acquainted with one another. Has anyone tried it or does it work.
https://beeinformed.org/2012/06/12/tower-hives/
As a matter of interest this site has some excellent pictures of pests and diseases which I think are worth looking at.

The Drone Ranger
16-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Hi GG
except for one little one in the heading

Interesting idea
I was surprised how hostile some of the comments were
I'm sticking with the Snelgroves for now though

This was the link out to the diseases book
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Diagnosis-and-Treatment-of-Common-Honey-Bee-Diseases/productinfo/842/
Good pictures etc
Wonder if they would send me one in exchange for a review :)

Greengage
16-02-2016, 10:40 PM
I must have missed the comments??

The Drone Ranger
17-02-2016, 12:15 AM
Hi GG
I hope that monitor lizard doesn't find out how you spelled his name :)

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Mellifera Crofter
17-02-2016, 08:19 AM
I'm eventually beginning to understand what you're all talking about, and I can picture it!
Kitta

The Drone Ranger
17-02-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm eventually beginning to understand what you're all talking about, and I can picture it!
Kitta
Here's a bit I clipped from a web article
"01-17-2002, 04:42 PM

DOVER, Delaware (AP) --Several flesh-eating pet lizards were found feasting on the corpse of their owner in his apartment, police said.

Police were called to Ronald Huff's apartment in Newark, Delaware, on Wednesday after a relative became worried because Huff failed to show up for work, investigators said.

Officers found Huff's body on the floor, with his pet Nile monitor lizards feeding on his flesh. The state medical examiner is investigating the cause of death.

Huff, 42, had last been seen Sunday, New Castle County police said."

What they didn't say was Huff often used the "moniter " word sadly for him the lizards were monitoring him and he turned out to be a poor runner as well as speller

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk