PDA

View Full Version : Varroa snelgrove effect

nemphlar
13-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Question for DR please. Very low counts of varroa this year after using the snelgrove boards for the first time. Varroa proof mesh between the splits and a for most a brood break of 4 to 6 weeks in the v rich top section.
Coincidence?

The Drone Ranger
14-01-2016, 02:18 AM
Question for DR please. Very low counts of varroa this year after using the snelgrove boards for the first time. Varroa proof mesh between the splits and a for most a brood break of 4 to 6 weeks in the v rich top section.
Coincidence?

Hi nemphlar
It's not going to hurt anyway
I chopped this post down a bit
when I read it back I wasn't saying anything you haven't already sussed out
PM sent instead :)

The Drone Ranger
23-01-2016, 12:24 AM
Oops bad link I will find the right one
this should give the instructions for making a Snelgrove board
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4kmkBxg4pS2cnJnU0p1U1BFOTA/view?usp=sharing
I gave up on the frame trapping and moved the board date back to the start of May
The SBA website has some instructions but I think its down for now
hopefully this link will work now :)

fatshark
23-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Those are good instructions DR. I'd also consider treating the bottom box - Q + foragers - with OA to give them a clean start in life as well. I do a simple vertical split sometimes, turning the box rather than having the plethora of doors to confuse me ;)

The Drone Ranger
23-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Hi Fatshark
I use a record card per hive with spaces for dates and next action to keep me right :)

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

nemphlar
24-01-2016, 02:05 PM
I followed the DR system last year, the card keeps it simple. I think some people are put off, because the technique is a wee bit repetitive and confusing to read. For small time keepers it's a much undervalued system, with hopefully a positive impact in early season varroa control.
I did have a spec saver moment where I opened the doors on the bottom board locking the top lot in and went on holiday for 10 days, they were fine

The Drone Ranger
24-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Hope this year we can get the timing spot on nemphlar
I have senior moments which result in similar things happening :)