PDA

View Full Version : Beemaster not PC enough for 2015?

EK.Bee
23-11-2015, 10:18 AM
I was somewhat disappointed at the suggestion on Saturday that some people wanted to drop the Bee Master from the certification process in favour of "something a bit more PC"

I don't know when the term came into use but I see there was a Bee master's Calender back in 1825 from a quick Google search & no doubt it was used many years prior to this

To me this old term links us to those from a previous age who shared our love of bees & bee keeping and shows a respect for the foundation they have given us to develop & hand on to the next generation. (I also love the quaint irony of the term as invariably bees only do what they want to do)

I for one would be sad to see the term sacrificed merely for the sake of change. Reading the old books you gain a sense of awe & respect for those who made the discoveries & those with decades of observation who were intimately in tune with their bees needs

Let's not be hasty in our rush to discard our heritage & that link to the great Bee Masters of years gone by.

Duncan
23-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Reading the old books you gain a sense of awe & respect for those who made the discoveries & those with decades of observation who were intimately in tune with their bees needs
They didn't have the television and Internet distractions, so could devote more time and thought to their bees.

The Drone Ranger
02-12-2015, 12:01 AM
How about Bride of Beemaster (sponsored by Hammer)

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Kate Atchley
02-12-2015, 08:32 PM
I was somewhat disappointed at the suggestion on Saturday that some people wanted to drop the Bee Master from the certification process in favour of "something a bit more PC"
Interesting that's how you heard it EK. I probably wasn't listening properly but I 'heard' the difficulty being that Beemaster suggest that this beekeeper has "mastered beekeeping" ... whereas the test is the most basic of assessments. So it's misleading ... and can give folk who receive it, and those who associate with them, a false impression of their skill and experience. I think I've heard this discussed elsewhere. Makes sense to me to use a description more apt for someone who has mastered the basics.

Mellifera Crofter
03-12-2015, 01:13 AM
... but I 'heard' the difficulty being that Beemaster suggest that this beekeeper has "mastered beekeeping" ... whereas the test is the most basic of assessments. So it's misleading ... and can give folk who receive it, and those who associate with them, a false impression of their skill and experience....

Test, of tests? And after seven exams and two practicals, still not competent enough to be a Beemaster - even just a bit? There's my hopes dashed.

Kitta

The Drone Ranger
03-12-2015, 01:51 AM
I keep chickens have done for years ,
I can tell when they are ill and when they are well
Can't say I ever heard of a chicken master

Some folk are pretty clued up on the birds biology
Mostly like me they get the basics breathing digestion mites etc and leave the rest to the vet
Chicken forums are even crazier than bee forums I don't go to them at all

Greengage
03-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Interesting that's how you heard it EK. I probably wasn't listening properly but I 'heard' the difficulty being that Beemaster suggest that this beekeeper has "mastered beekeeping" ... whereas the test is the most basic of assessments. So it's misleading ... and can give folk who receive it, and those who associate with them, a false impression of their skill and experience. I think I've heard this discussed elsewhere. Makes sense to me to use a description more apt for someone who has mastered the basics. Everytime I hear someone get up to talk or be introduced as a second or third generation beekeeper has the same effect on me. One person I know now has bees never having had an intrest in them before although their father had them once is now a second generation beekeper.
In this months An Beachaire the Irish beekeeping magazine they have a discussion on the senior and intermediate questions and what is required in an answer they discuss function of Hamuli. I could not see the differance in either answer. I thought it was a bit padantic (Which in itself is not a word. pEdantic, however, is, and it means to be 'overly instructive or concerned with petty details; to be rigorous in education.I learn something new everyday) Iam having second thoughts about going down this exam route but Ill have a think about it over the christmas . Ill post the answer they gave see what people think later whenI have the magazine

Kate Atchley
03-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Test, of tests? And after seven exams and two practicals, still not competent enough to be a Beemaster - even just a bit? There's my hopes dashed.

Kitta

The discussion at the Secs' Meeting was about the basic assessment ... the award given currently called Basic Beemaster. Possibly changing that was being considered.

Let's not lose that title for those dedicated folk who genuinely master the craft and show this through being examined. They are indeed masters of the craft.

Mellifera Crofter
03-12-2015, 09:56 AM
I keep chickens have done for years ,
I can tell when they are ill and when they are well
Can't say I ever heard of a chicken master

I'm sure there are lots of bee masters and chickens masters, DR, but for those of us who choose to learn intensively through the formal bee exam structure, I think receiving a title like Beemaster after several years of keeping bees and sitting exams and doing practicals, is apt. I want to become a Beemaster! (And, by the way, re EK's post, not a Beemistress.)

There will always be bee masters out there better and more knowledgeable than some Beemasters, and we all know that. Quite a few of them are writing on this forum, and I've learnt so much from them.

Mellifera Crofter
03-12-2015, 10:01 AM
The discussion at the Secs' Meeting was about the basic assessment ... the award given currently called Basic Beemaster. Possibly changing that was being considered.

Oh! Thanks Kate. I don't have strong feelings about the title of Basic Beemaster, although I can't think of an alternative.

Kitta

Kate Atchley
03-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Oh! Thanks Kate. I don't have strong feelings about the title of Basic Beemaster, although I can't think of an alternative.

Kitta
If I remember right, I think Basic Beekeeper or Basic Assessment were mentioned as possible alternatives for the award.

The Drone Ranger
03-12-2015, 11:35 PM
Apologies Kitta
I am an unqualified lout and respect the dedication and work that goes into becoming a Beemaster
I have discussed the matter at length with our chickens and in light of that have retracted my ludicrous claim to be a chickenmaster

gavin
03-12-2015, 11:55 PM
As far as I understand it ....

The name Basic Beemaster (often called 'the Basic') was suggested to be outdated but the education guy is not keen to change for a variety of reasons including the work involved. It is very much an entry-level qualification. (That's why I managed to pass it.)

There are related concerns that pretty inexperienced folk have set themselves up as beekeeping teachers and even call themselves 'qualified' sometimes with the SBA name attached based on this entry-level qualification (perhaps even without the 'Distinction' needed to progress in the examination system). The Basic isn't sufficient to claim that experience in the view of most people.

Mellifera Crofter
04-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Apologies Kitta
I am an unqualified lout ...
I have discussed the matter at length with our chickens ...

!? Don't listen to those to those chicken brains. You're one of the knowledgeable bee masters.

Kitta

EK.Bee
04-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Well, I thought the initial point was around the use of the term master not being suitable for the 21 st century.
The discussion quickly swung round to whether the basic cert should have bee master on it or not but I don't think that was the proponent's issue
more the androcentrism of the term Master..
Maybe I did pick this up incorrectly?
In fairness I was suffering from the fumes of that vicious soap that Enid pedals up the back of the room from her stall.

Kate Atchley
04-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Well, I thought the initial point was around the use of the term master not being suitable for the 21 st century.
The discussion quickly swung round to whether the basic cert should have bee master on it or not but I don't think that was the proponent's issue
more the androcentrism of the term Master..
Maybe I did pick this up incorrectly?
In fairness I was suffering from the fumes of that vicious soap that Enid pedals up the back of the room from her stall.

I believe you picked it up correctly ... the initial suggestions quickly morphed into concern about the term 'master' for a entry-level assessment, not whether it was PC or otherwise.

The Drone Ranger
04-12-2015, 11:39 AM
I think Beemaster sounds fine but I I have never been to a bee meeting so I might feel differently with some soap fumes in me
Perhaps on the chicken front Beastmaster sounds a bit macho and Chickwrangler might be better

If I had spent years working toward becoming a Beemaster I would be a bit disappointed if became Beeperson or just Beekeeper

My beekeeping mentor didn't have any Certificates so we got straight down to opening hives, swarm control, honey extraction, making fondant,stealthy handling, removing stings, requeening using matchboxes, adding supers, moving hives, signs of disease, nosema etc
All the fun stuff really so I didn't get some less essential stuff like how many spiracles bees have what the anatomical names of their gut sections are etc

Gavin is right though nowadays there are all sorts of Bee courses are advertised usually with some Eco tag attached or "new beekeeping" sometimes "natural " beekeeping and those people are a total menace

fatshark
04-12-2015, 01:27 PM
... sometimes "natural " beekeeping and those people are a total menace

I'm an unnatural beekeeper ;)

The Drone Ranger
04-12-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm an unnatural beekeeper ;)

After all how many beekeeping sharks are there :)

Maybe Honeybadger certificate could be for advanced beekeeper
You won't believe this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c36UNSoJenI

The Drone Ranger
04-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Hi Kitta

I have been perusing the list of stuff I should know :)
Including some NA lense stuff that went in one ear and out the other at the microscopy course

Can you clue me up on this one (which candidates have to be able to describe)

"4.7 the production of liquid honey for sale including a method of delaying granulation for up to six months"

fatshark
04-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Any video that starts "Brian knew that he had to get his badger under control" has got to be worth watching ... and it was. Thanks.

Mellifera Crofter
04-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Hi Kitta ... Can you clue me up on this one (which candidates have to be able to describe)

"4.7 the production of liquid honey for sale including a method of delaying granulation for up to six months"

DR, I'm not even halfway on my road to becoming a Beemaster (I probably don't qualify for a honeybadger certificate either - wonderful video).

So, straight from my SBA honey workshop manual (2013):

To produce clear honey proceed as follows: Completely re-melt the set honey at 50degC for up to 48hrs depending on its condition, re-strain into bottling tank and allow to cool to 32degC, then run into heated thoroughly clean jars. If you are supplying shops and wish to have the honey remain clear for up to 6 months, make sure that the lids are tight on the jars, immerse the jars in a water bath at a temperature of 60degC for three quarters of an hour, then cool rapidly outside and store at 13degC.

(Wendy might still have the pamphlet.) My honey is always natural set honey. I've never produced clear honey.

What do you mean by a list of stuff you should know? Where did you find this list? If it is to become a Beemaster (in addition to being the bee master you are), then the microscopy course is extra. You don't need it to become a Beemaster.

Kitta

The Drone Ranger
04-12-2015, 10:37 PM
http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/syllabus.html
That's where I read though all the sections Kitta

Thanks for the info on stopping granulation
Almost everything I get comes from rape field so like you I usually cream it to avoid too much heating
The worst part about the microscopy course was freezing 30 bees to take with me for dissection
Most of mine all revived and flew round the room with my pollen samples on their legs
The flowering plants I took were mostly just weeds some people had everything under the sun
They were carnies though so nobody was stung :)

alancooper
04-12-2015, 11:02 PM
Any video that starts "Brian knew that he had to get his badger under control" has got to be worth watching .
Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh - lllllooooooved it.

Mellifera Crofter
05-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Most of mine all revived and flew round the room with my pollen samples on their legs

Oh, sorry - yes, the syllabus - it's full of stuff I didn't or don't know.

I've heard of bees reviving from their freezing ordeal. I kept mine in the freezer for longer than the recommended time to make sure they were very, very dead!

Kitta

The Drone Ranger
10-05-2016, 06:12 PM
Well its seems my "honey badger" suggestion didn't make the cut
What was the final decision ?

Sent from my S208 using Tapatalk

Mellifera Crofter
11-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Well its seems my "honey badger" suggestion didn't make the cut
What was the final decision ?

Sent from my S208 using Tapatalk

No - to achieve the 'honey badger' status needs a whole lot of different criteria. None of us here can possibly qualify. To become a Honey Badger Master you'll need to outwit Stoffel - and remember, he walks away from a fight with a lion ... Are you up to it? Apart from fighting lions (or Stoffel perhaps), you'll also need to know how to stop him and his kin from ram-shacking your beehives. They don't just leave a few puny tooth marks on a polyhive like the local badgers here - they'll pull it to bits. You must therefore also know how to make a Stoffel-proof hive - then you're a Honey Badger master.

Kitta

The Drone Ranger
11-05-2016, 11:23 PM
Lol!
I survived a pretty fierce bee attack yesterday so maybe that's a start
Might need a better suit when I take on the lions though
I don't fancy tangling with Stoffel so I'll have to be his wingman on escapes

You must be on track to becoming a master beekeeper soon Kitta
Now that the underwater module is out of the way :)

Greengage
12-05-2016, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the info on stopping granulation
Almost everything I get comes from rape field so like you I usually cream it to avoid too much heating
The worst part about the microscopy course was freezing 30 bees to take with me for dissection
The flowering plants I took were mostly just weeds some people had everything under the sun
They were carnies though so nobody was stung :)

Collected bees for sampling with my nephew who is keen, I asked him to freeze them to kill them before sending away, and told him to tell people not to open the box in the freezer as they were still alive. Four hours later got call from his Mam asking what are a load of dead bees doing all over her freezer. I contacted the nephew and asked did he not warn people not to open the box, "Yes i did, But my dad got curious and wanted to see what was hapening to them, he open the box they flew out and stung him so he slammed the door shut, thats why they are all over the freezer. Bet he learnt his lesson to take advice from his son.

The Drone Ranger
12-05-2016, 09:08 AM
Lol!
Bees are tough little creatures

Mellifera Crofter
12-05-2016, 04:51 PM

You must be on track to becoming a master beekeeper soon Kitta
Now that the underwater module is out of the way :)

Yes, the bees and I did very well in that module, thanks John - but I'm still a few years away from becoming a beemaster, and I have a lot of catch-up to do with you lot.

Back to new terms (excluding Honey Badger), I think Alan Riach wrote a piece in a fairly recent SBA magazine about that - but I can't find it just now ...
Kitta