PDA

View Full Version : query re removing varroa strips

Bridget
21-11-2015, 02:06 PM
We didn't get our varroa strips, Amitraz, on till late as the bees were still on the heather end of September. Due to come off next weekend but weather now cooled down a lot and snow on the ground here. One of the strips fell down the middle and is now lying on the floor and I'm wondering if its better to leave it there and not disturb the cluster or is it really important to remove. Normally I would have removed it straight away but my stand in who is during a really good job didn't realise that it was important it hung straight down through the frames.
Thanks
Bridget

The Drone Ranger
22-11-2015, 12:32 AM
Wire coat hanger in the entrance maybe Bridget

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Wmfd
22-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Or a grabber, like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolson-61cm-4-Claw-Flexible-Pick-Up-Tool-Ideal-For-Picking-Up-Small-Objects-New-/251811412199?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Not used that one, but have used something similar in the past for a different job,

David

Bridget
22-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Or a grabber, like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolson-61cm-4-Claw-Flexible-Pick-Up-Tool-Ideal-For-Picking-Up-Small-Objects-New-/251811412199?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Not used that one, but have used something similar in the past for a different job,

David

Great little gizmo David, but I think we might need the brain surgeon version with a light on the end and a camera to see what we were doing. Great stocking filler, just wish I could think how it might be useful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatshark
22-11-2015, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure how long the strips remain 'active' Bridget. If it's effectively 'all gone' after a month or so it can't do much harm remaining in the colony. However, if activity remains you're effectively leaving a strong selective pressure for resistant mites to develop. I think Amitraz-resistance is reported but not properly characterised.

I might be tempted to wait until the bees are tightly clustered and then prize the back of the brood box up off the floor, put a wedge of some sort in place and then fish out the strip. It's usually possible to separate the brood box and the floor when it's cold and they're clustered without disturbing the colony if it's done gently. Of course, the setup you use in the bee shed may not make this practical ...

Wmfd
23-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Great little gizmo David, but I think we might need the brain surgeon version with a light on the end and a camera to see what we were doing. Great stocking filler, just wish I could think how it might be useful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With two of you, assuming a mesh floor that the strip is laying on and some space under the hive - one person could lie underneath looking upwards and directing someone else who is semi-randomly probing around with the grabber. Not a great plan I'll grant you!

Fatshark's idea is more practical, and less likely to end up with physical injury.