PDA

View Full Version : Could a mushroom save the honey bee.

Greengage
15-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Wasting time on the internet when I should be working, Oh well, I found this article and video thought might interest some of you.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/09/446928755/could-a-mushroom-save-the-honeybee

busybeephilip
16-10-2015, 09:11 AM
I often see bees sucking water from my manure pile - Hmmmm. ? Mushrooms grow in manure, is there anything in this - dont think so but hey you never know !

Greengage
16-10-2015, 10:43 AM
I saw a short video of bees sucking up water if i can find it ill post it.

gavin
16-10-2015, 12:02 PM
I often see bees sucking water from my manure pile - Hmmmm. ? Mushrooms grow in manure, is there anything in this - dont think so but hey you never know !

Warm liquid and minerals must be a major part of the attraction. And the mischievous delight in horrifying the beekeeper (or honey eater).

Did you say *my* manure pile?!

Bridget
16-10-2015, 10:10 PM
I see my bees hovering around the bottom of a planted up whisky barrel which has often been peed on by the dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calluna4u
16-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Warm liquid and minerals must be a major part of the attraction. And the mischievous delight in horrifying the beekeeper (or honey eater).

Did you say *my* manure pile?!

lol Gavin........Do you remember the roadside sign that used to be at Broxden farm, just outside Perth heading for Glasgow?

I best 'pick your own' tradition, you were invited to 'bag your own manure, 50p a bag'...........they changed the sign a bit and its now a pound a bag.

All the bees I know love the liquor that seeps out of the bottom of dung middens.....dirty little brutes at times..

gavin
17-10-2015, 12:59 AM
lol Gavin........Do you remember the roadside sign that used to be at Broxden farm, just outside Perth heading for Glasgow?

I best 'pick your own' tradition, you were invited to 'bag your own manure, 50p a bag'...........they changed the sign a bit and its now a pound a bag.

All the bees I know love the liquor that seeps out of the bottom of dung middens.....dirty little brutes at times..

I do indeed! Gave me and the kids a chuckle more than once. There was one occasion when I set off in that direction with some empty bags in the hope of enriching the allotment but the traffic was showing no sign of slowing down as it raced off to Glasgow so the mission was aborted.

Calluna4u
17-10-2015, 08:14 AM
I do indeed! Gave me and the kids a chuckle more than once. There was one occasion when I set off in that direction with some empty bags in the hope of enriching the allotment but the traffic was showing no sign of slowing down as it raced off to Glasgow so the mission was aborted.

I get the 'haver of the week' award. Broxden farm was inside the ring road....the one outside with the sign is I think East Lamberkin....but the story is the same.

gavin
17-10-2015, 09:28 AM
I get the 'haver of the week' award. Broxden farm was inside the ring road....the one outside with the sign is I think East Lamberkin....but the story is the same.

Quite right. The place we've had so many meetings with Scottish Government must be on the old Broxden Farm site?

You could be starting a new trend with an occasional 'haver of the week' award to posters. Lovely to have a beekeeping forum where words like 'haver' get an airing. Haver in the Proclaimers sense, a word used throughout my childhood for some reason :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM0sTNtWDiI

gavin
17-10-2015, 09:38 AM
But could a mushroom save the honey bee? Naw, the man's havering.

Calluna4u
17-10-2015, 11:17 PM
But could a mushroom save the honey bee? Naw, the man's havering.

Some years ago we used to supply Fortnum and Mason with honey (while ago, as we stopped packing in 2003). part of the deal involved fielding customer correspondence, and all correspondence had to be treated with respect and taken seriously.

I had a little difficulty coping with one rather persistent gentleman who badgered the food hall management about a dream he had. this correspondence went on for about nine months. He insisted he knew the cure for varroa and all the ills facing the bees at the time. Roquefort cheese.

It had to be liquified with water or milk, and the resulting emulsion had to be painted on all the internal surfaces of the hive. He would not leave it until his idea was taken seriously and trialled. Kind person that I am I sent him the details of Max Watkins and Prof Ratnieks as people far better placed than me to conduct the necessary research. He was not greatly pleased that I did not immediately go out and treat all my hives, but at least he went off to bother someone else (if he ever did, never heard anything further).

Not mushrooms.........but a nice mould.

madasafish
18-10-2015, 12:07 PM
I had a little difficulty coping with one rather persistent gentleman who badgered the food hall management about a dream he had. this correspondence went on for about nine months. He insisted he knew the cure for varroa and all the ills facing the bees at the time. Roquefort cheese.

d.

In my view, that's all cheese might be good for..:-)

The Drone Ranger
27-10-2015, 05:28 PM
http://www.appalachianfeet.com/2010/07/02/how-to-spray-milk-to-prevent-powdery-mildew-disease/
The Fortnam man may have taken the idea from this which apparently works