PDA

View Full Version : Slugs in hives

EK.Bee
09-09-2015, 10:01 AM
I seem to have a lot of slugs in my garden hives this year (horrid big leopard spotted things)
The conditions must be favourable for them with the rain we've had this year
I tried copper strip round the entrance of a nuc that they seemed to favour as a trial but it soon tarnishes
Also tried salt on the frame rest channels to discourage them but the bees chuck it out
Anyone else finding them an issue?
Anyone with a solution other than moving to a drier county?

Silvbee
09-09-2015, 10:56 AM
My solution is don't worry about it. I often have leopard slugs in the corners of hives and as the bees don't mind, neither do I.

busybeephilip
09-09-2015, 11:57 AM
I hate slugs in hives, dammed hard to get rid of, try road salt around your hive stand

EK.Bee
09-09-2015, 10:58 PM
I hate slugs in hives, dammed hard to get rid of, try road salt around your hive stand

I'll try that

Maybe turn up at the big depot with a large bucket & a jar of honey.

Thanks

gavin
09-09-2015, 11:07 PM
I now have a few apiaries and notice some differences. The ones on stands made from ..... black weed suppressing fabric, then those lightweight slightly crumbly concrete blocks (2) topped with rough-hewn timber bars spanning three such pillars .... don't seem to have slugs. Is it the materials or just that this site doesn't have many slugs?

Heavy standard concrete blocks, or tyres or pallets offer no resistance. Actually the pallet ones are not so bad. So does rough sawn timber help? Or those crumbly blocks?

Those straight on paving slabs are definitely slug central.

I don't recall seeing any above a queen excluder, at least not often.

Bumble
10-09-2015, 12:17 AM
In one apiary, where there's a heavy clay soil, the hives sitting on stands have been creocoted (imitation creosote (http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Shed-And-Fence-Creocote-Light-20L/p/107374)) don't get slugs, even though the wood hasn't been repainted since they were made. The hives sitting on untreated stands, aka pallets resting on breeze blocks, do get slugs.

Another apiary, with well drained soil, where the hives are on bearers (fence posts) resting on breeze blocks has no slug problem.