PDA

View Full Version : Outer Hebridies

Poly Hive
06-09-2015, 12:34 PM
We are contemplating moving to the Uists.

Not wanting to be vilified as the man who introduced varroa to the islands what options are there other than giving up my beekeeping totally?

PH

Kate Atchley
06-09-2015, 12:50 PM
I met a beekeeper from the Uists on a queen rearing course with Andrew Abrahams. Andrew would have his details I guess ... or Colonsay bees of course. Andrew's keen to support those on the islands to avoid the mite.

As yet we're Varroa-free in Arnamurchan. Could put you down for a nuc for next year and test/treat before despatch. Or an Isle of Man beekeeper? Or Margie Ramsay perhaps from Wester Ross.

Would you be happy with locally acclimatised bees or have you Amm in mind?

Jon
06-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Is this map still accurate2429

Poly Hive
06-09-2015, 03:52 PM
I am not bothered about AMM which seem to be more elusive than the proverbial unicorn and what I fondly believed to be AMM most likely never actually were though Mobus thought they were. I would love to have my Carnis but that is sadly not possible. I actually haven't lit a smoker this season at all despite it being the worst season I have ever had.

PH

Kate Atchley
06-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Is this map still accurate2429
Funny you should ask Jon ... I believe our esteemed Administrator is working on an updated map, to be published soon. Varroa's spread, as you'd expect, but by no means everywhere.

Jon
06-09-2015, 04:33 PM
I am not bothered about AMM which seem to be more elusive than the proverbial unicorn ...
PH

In what sense? There are several posters on this forum could sell you queens.

mbc
06-09-2015, 04:46 PM
In what sense? There are several posters on this forum could sell you queens.

Don't spoil the fun Jon, the required response is "yes, amm are rarer than hens teeth, bibba are ineffectual buffoons who don't help anyone, and we're all totally justified in buying whatever bees we want and putting them wherever we wish."

Poly Hive
06-09-2015, 07:20 PM
I am not interested in buying queens I would want to purchase at least 6 colonies, varroa free ones. If AMM then fine as I am quite used to them.

Fun MBC? In what sense? I am utterly serious. There is no way I would move my bees to the islands, lovely though the bees are. I can't say I miss wearing two bee suits though to work AMM.

As for whether original AMM still exists then as far as I am aware the jury is out given the DNA situation. Mobus was convinced he had AMM and so convinced me, but... they were deemed AMM on the basis of the then BIBBA screening. I am no fan of BIBBA, having been let down by them badly in the past. As far as I know they are no longer hosting the AMM ideal instead supporting acclimatised local bees or am I mistaken as I no longer read much on the topic.

Setting all of that apart is there someone who say next year could supply a half dozen nucs which are guaranteed varroa free? Once I can obtain them then yes Jon I would happily purchase some queens to broaden the genetics.

PH

Kate Atchley
06-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Our Amm bees (Colonsay stock) are the gentlest bees I've ever worked. Mostly don't wear gloves. So hang up your second bee suit.

Maybe draw your bees from different stock? Improve the genetic mix on the Uists.

It'll be hard to place an order for 6 varroa-free nucs with any of those able to provide them as they are much in demand and next year's order already growing. Our set up is small but we could offer you one or two varroa-free Amm nucs.

Jon
06-09-2015, 09:32 PM
I can't say I miss wearing two bee suits though to work AMM.

I don't even own a bee suit and I have about 50 colonies of Amm. I use a £5 observation smock as sold by Thorne.

The jury is not still out on Amm although you need to be careful of your source.
Andrew Abraham's Colonsay bees have been DNA tested multiple times as have the Galtee bees - for various research projects.

I am sure MBCs stock is not far away from what you would expect in Amm.
Quite a few other regular posters on here would have similar good stock.

The confusion re Amm has arisen partly through an erroneous use of wing morphometry. Anyone who has used wings as a selection criteria for years has bees with Amm lookalike wings but as for the rest of the genetics? - anyones guess.

drumgerry
06-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Poly hive you're going to be limited to suppliers in varroa free areas. I say suppliers but I'd be gobsmacked,amazed etc if there was anyone in the said areas who have anything like six colonies for sale next year. Unless they're packing up.

I'd snap up Kate's offer of an Ardnamurchan nuc and build them from there. Won't take too long to get your numbers up over a few years with the odd nuc and/or queen purchase. Not sure I'd be buying queens from varroa areas as you don't know what kind of heat the attendant workers will be packing.

I'd have thought Colonsay stock would be perfect for the Western Isles.....

Floyd
07-09-2015, 05:15 PM
PolyHive,

We have spoke on the other forum in the past.

I am in a Varroa free area at the moment having only checked on my hives today. I am on Scoraig, Wester-Ross. However the decision has been made that I need to sell up the Croft and move back to Fife closer to my wife and daughter.

I had intended to take the bees with me but it would be nice to know that they continue to live on in a possibly Varroa free environment and with someone as experienced as yourself. I have 3 Full colonies at the moment and despite the weather they have each managed to fill almost a complete super each and this year did not show any signs of swarming.

I purchased a queen from Andrew (Colonsay) 3 years ago to reduce the risk of inbreeding and have raised the queens from this source. The hive (National) hardware is getting quite tired so would benefit from being rehomed into your preferred Polyhive. Frames are a mix of short and long lugs due to me also having some old Smith hives.

Do you know what your timescales for the move would be?