PDA

View Full Version : Swarm in a box?

SueBee
09-06-2010, 04:59 PM
I've been caught out by a swarm - got them into a temporary wooden box - any idea how long they might be ok to stay in that? I don't have another spare hive (yet!).
Do they ever swarm without a queen? I didn't think there was one left in that hive, just a lot of queen cells.
Full marks to my non-beekeeper husband who insisted that it was safer for him to don my beesuit and climb a dodgy triple-ladder into the tree.

Trog
09-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Well done for catching it! Are you sure it's yours? What stage were your queen cells last time you looked, and how many were there? Sometimes the first emerging queen takes off with the flying bees rather than risking a fight with the next one to emerge. They should be fine for a while in the wooden box, as long as it has some sort of waterproof top and only a small entrance; however the longer they're there, the more wild comb they'll build in it, and the messier it'll be to get them out!

Trog
09-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Just a thought - if you don't want the swarm, there are lots of folk in your area desperate for one - you could get someone to come round with a suitable hive/box to pick them up ... assuming they can get along the road to reach you without going via Glencoe!

Jon
09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
If you left several queen cells you could well have another swarm tomorrow.
If you don't remove all but 1 cell you can get a series of cast swarms with a virgin queen in each.

Jimbo
09-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi SueBee,

Jon is correct you could have cast swarms. The swarm you have in the box was is quite large or was it more about the size of a small football? If it was quite large it is the prime swarm and your original queen will be there. If it was smaller then it is likely to be a cast with a new queen. Bees never swarm without a queen.

Jimbo