PDA

View Full Version : Wooden or Poly hives ?

gwizzie
27-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone, I have as some of you will know been trying out some poly hives (paradise BEEBOX hives) to be exact. I decided today as the weather was good to check on the 4 hives that I have at my new apiary, I have taken a video to show the results and I was very surprised at what I seen.
Anyway here is the video of my findings so far, the video shows that the 2 wooden hives that were the strongest out of the 4 hive when put to the heather are way behind in covering the frames, maybe this is normal ? im not sure as im new to this!!.
All I can see is that the bees in the paradise BEEBOX hives are doing a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxLxaM38KnE

gavin
27-08-2015, 08:37 PM
In general, yes, bees in polyboxes build better. There are of course other factors other than strength. I'd wager that your wooden Nationals were holding back from brood rearing in July whereas your warmer poly boxes may have carried on. Then the poly boxes would be poised to expand more now, no matter what, and would be in a better position now to bring home the goodies.

Nice to see the activity in the supers though. Fingers crossed for no frost and a continuation of the heather season well into a particularly warm September ....

gwizzie
27-08-2015, 09:52 PM
In general, yes, bees in polyboxes build better. There are of course other factors other than strength. I'd wager that your wooden Nationals were holding back from brood rearing in July whereas your warmer poly boxes may have carried on. Then the poly boxes would be poised to expand more now, no matter what, and would be in a better position now to bring home the goodies.

Nice to see the activity in the supers though. Fingers crossed for no frost and a continuation of the heather season well into a particularly warm September ....

Hi Gav, thanks for your comments that I will take them onboard. I think that personally for me the poly hive will be the way to go for me, but it's still early days yet I have the winter to get over yet.
Yes seeing them in the super working away like that is very rewarding but again these are very small hives as I got them late in the season!! I have high hopes for 3 of them if I can get them through the winter all ok....
I will of course keep this thread up to date with videos of their development over the next month as for the weather, if the forecast is anything to go by and does not change to much I should be ok (fingers and everything else CROSSED)

gavin
28-08-2015, 12:38 AM
They certainly winter well in poly too. C4U has been a great proponent of them and has a huge number of colony years experience.

gwizzie
28-08-2015, 09:59 AM
They certainly winter well in poly too. C4U has been a great proponent of them and has a huge number of colony years experience.

Hi Gav, yes I am steering more to the poly hives now, just the condensation part that I am a bit concerned about BUT I think I may have an answer for that a mod for the beebox hives;).
I will try and get some of that years of experience from C4U if I can at some stage :D.
Something dawned on me this morning the 2nd hive in the video was a good strong hive but not taking in much honey! I am wondering now has that hive swarmed on me ??? I think I am going to check today to see what is happening with that one!

gwizzie
28-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Just checked on the hive and did an inspection of the brood box and all is ok they have not swarmed, but they are not as full as I thought! Hummmm.... they still have room in the brood box for stores so that is were most of the heather honey is going. O well at least they will have that for overwintering and there not that bad a bees as there trying to give me some as well I suppose;)!

Mellifera Crofter
28-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Hi Gav, yes I am steering more to the poly hives now, just the condensation part that I am a bit concerned about BUT I think I may have an answer for that a mod for the beebox hives;). ...

What 'mod' do you have in mind?
Kitta

gwizzie
28-08-2015, 07:00 PM
What 'mod' do you have in mind?
Kitta

Hi Kitta,I am thinking of trying it out this weekend So will report back, but it's just drilling a hole through the side wall of the top and then drilling down through the top to meet it then covering holes outside and inside with mesh that way the hive has ventilation at the top of the hive.

greengumbo
28-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Hi Kitta,I am thinking of trying it out this weekend So will report back, but it's just drilling a hole through the side wall of the top and then drilling down through the top to meet it then covering holes outside and inside with mesh that way the hive has ventilation at the top of the hive.

Excellent videos and quality. I wouldn't mod them to be honest. I have never had an issue with poly condensation and they are designed in Finland by real experts. I do get condensation sometimes but it does not seem to do any harm. I've had poly bee box now for three years and they winter extremely well even on my windy and cold site :)

I moved two 6 frame nucs into full sized beebox langs about a week ago and all frames drawn and getting stores in. Not sure about my heather ones as its a 4 hour round drive and I'm buggered if I'm doing that until they are ready to bring home !

gwizzie
28-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Excellent videos and quality. I wouldn't mod them to be honest. I have never had an issue with poly condensation and they are designed in Finland by real experts. I do get condensation sometimes but it does not seem to do any harm. I've had poly bee box now for three years and they winter extremely well even on my windy and cold site :)

I moved two 6 frame nucs into full sized beebox langs about a week ago and all frames drawn and getting stores in. Not sure about my heather ones as its a 4 hour round drive and I'm buggered if I'm doing that until they are ready to bring home !

Hi Thanks for the comment, humm think I will take on board what you're saying and wait to see how I get on with them, as you have said there designed by real experts. I do like these hives mine are national and thank you for your kind words about the videos just used my Iphone on that one but others are filmed with a GoPro 4 silver great bit of kit.

The reason I film everything is that I can review the footage again and again and again were as my memory isn't what it used to be :( and I find that this helps also I can use it to refer back to if needed.

I have areas up here that i have secured for next year for the heather both bell and ling but not sure if one super would be enough and if not how would you know that it needed more if you dont visit ?? just asking....

Jimbo
28-08-2015, 08:36 PM
I agree I would not mod the poly hives. I have used poly hives for more than 10 years and never had any issues with condensation or dampness inside the hive
I also have a number of wooden hives and the main difference I have noticed is the temperature inside the poly hive must be more constant as the brood nest can sometimes be on the outside frames where as the wooden hives the nest is in the middle of the box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gwizzie
28-08-2015, 08:47 PM
I agree I would not mod the poly hives. I have used poly hives for more than 10 years and never had any issues with condensation or dampness inside the hive
I also have a number of wooden hives and the main difference I have noticed is the temperature inside the poly hive must be more constant as the brood nest can sometimes be on the outside frames where as the wooden hives the nest is in the middle of the box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Jimbo, thanks for your reply and advise that I will take on board, I have decided to leave them alone . I have noticed this as well that the poly hives brood box is full end to end were as the wooden are NOT! that's why I have decided to go ALL poly as easier and lighter to work with... (two more on order today) ;)

Mellifera Crofter
29-08-2015, 12:00 AM
... it's just drilling a hole through the side wall ...

... I have decided to leave them alone ...

That's what I feared, Gwizzie, and I'm glad Greengumbo and Jimbo have dissuaded you.

A hole in the top will just create draughts.

Condensation forms on the coldest surfaces, so I try to keep the area above the crown board the warmest. I use extra insulation (even in poly hives) above the crown board (a plastic sheet in MB hives) inside an eke (a shallow). I've never seen dripping on the bees.
Kitta

greengumbo
29-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Hi Thanks for the comment, humm think I will take on board what you're saying and wait to see how I get on with them, as you have said there designed by real experts. I do like these hives mine are national and thank you for your kind words about the videos just used my Iphone on that one but others are filmed with a GoPro 4 silver great bit of kit.

The reason I film everything is that I can review the footage again and again and again were as my memory isn't what it used to be :( and I find that this helps also I can use it to refer back to if needed.

I have areas up here that i have secured for next year for the heather both bell and ling but not sure if one super would be enough and if not how would you know that it needed more if you dont visit ?? just asking....

I'd be delighted this summer if I needed a few extra supers ! I Have given them two boxes. A full depth and a super. If they fill them I will be surprised ! I've a beefarmer pal who is out there a lot visiting his hives so he usually gives me the heads up if anything is happening in the area.

Adam
30-08-2015, 11:46 AM
By drilling hiles in polyboxes, you lose the advantages of having poly. Why have a well-insulated house and then leave the loft hatch open?

Emma
30-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Condensation forms on the coldest surfaces, so I try to keep the area above the crown board the warmest. I use extra insulation (even in poly hives) above the crown board (a plastic sheet in MB hives) inside an eke (a shallow). I've never seen dripping on the bees.
Kitta

I've found the same. I use woollen blankets, tucked carefully down onto the whole surface of the crownboard. Might get a lot of condensation beyond the dummy board, and a little in the corners, but none above the cluster. Gives a really interesting picture of how they keep the space warm. I'm also very quick to put the covers back on a cold day, because condensation can start forming underneath within a minute.

gwizzie
30-08-2015, 03:06 PM
By drilling hiles in polyboxes, you lose the advantages of having poly. Why have a well-insulated house and then leave the loft hatch open?

Yes I get you point but you would have windows in it ;) thats why IM NOT going to be doing it.... :D

gwizzie
30-08-2015, 03:09 PM
I'd be delighted this summer if I needed a few extra supers ! I Have given them two boxes. A full depth and a super. If they fill them I will be surprised ! I've a beefarmer pal who is out there a lot visiting his hives so he usually gives me the heads up if anything is happening in the area.

Hi Just checked them today and hive 1 is just starting to draw a few out. hive 2 has 5 frames full of honey. hive 3 has every frame drawn out and filling with honey. hive 4 has every frame drawn out and filling with honey.
So if this weather keeps up I might have a teaspoon party ;)

Adam
30-08-2015, 06:54 PM
I might have a teaspoon party ;)

Hooray!

nemphlar
06-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Finally made some open mesh floors to fit the poly hives, the up side to gales and non stop rain

gwizzie
18-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Getting ready for the arrival of new bees coming soon :D BUT do you think the wife will notice these in the spare room ??

and there are another 3 just painted behind these :eek:

SDM
19-03-2016, 06:17 AM
Let her know her place

Poly Hive
19-03-2016, 06:43 PM
gwizzie. With some 25 years of poly experience, as standard I would set up the Heather apiary with two supers on. I would pile supers on site so if a colony needed more space I had it to hand.

When I bought a couple of Glens from a very experienced heather hand he told me to be sure and keep the quilts dry, and there turned out to be sacking over the super, these were on brood and a half by the way so 15 nat brood frames and 15 super frames, then the sacking and on top of that literally a couple of quilts so keeping the bees cosy is nothing new, just achieved in a simpler way by poly. ;)

PH

madasafish
19-03-2016, 08:09 PM
I have 6 wooden and 1 poly lang in use. I use hive cosies made out of celotex on the wooden ones - they are light and include an integral roof and lift off in one piece. I expect teh insulation is at least as good as any polyhive - 50mm side walls and 100mm plus on the roof.

NO condensation at all on hive crownboards.. even in frosty days. . I'd rather have all poly but my one poly is MB (a prize) and would rather have swienty...

All my insulation is bought cheap (gumtree and ebay) and all my wooden hives self made so cheap...I am an Aberdonian by adoption.....