PDA

View Full Version : Brood disease

gavin
17-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Here is a disease which I see in occasional cells here and there in some years, including this one, but never at this level. I'll leave it unnamed for now as a teaser. The second picture shows that the dead larvae still have their skins intact and can be lifted out in one piece.

What should I do now? This one had been to be going to a heather apiary shared with the bees from the apiary where this one came from a few years ago. There are a few frames in this state but the newer brood to the side looks quite good.

G.

madasafish
17-07-2015, 03:46 PM
sac brood..? Lots around this year according to our local Bee Inspector..

gavin
17-07-2015, 06:51 PM
That's the one. Not sure why it should be a problem this year.

chris
17-07-2015, 07:53 PM
apparently it's *encouraged*by poor weather conditions in spring or sometimes vectored by varroa. Some colonies are more susceptible than others. Normally only a few colonies in the apiary are affected. It can clear up on its own when there's a good flow on. Information from Yves le Conte.

The Drone Ranger
17-07-2015, 10:33 PM
What's the plan Gavin
Can you get them on foundation and a clean comb or two ?

gavin
17-07-2015, 11:20 PM
We did have a long cool spell in spring but I suspect that this one's problems started last year given the state of it at the end of winter. Yes, I'll take away the worst combs and add some foundation. Perhaps with that and some feeding (and maybe a new queen) it will improve for next year. There were some combs full of healthy brood so it is worth saving.

The Drone Ranger
18-07-2015, 12:33 AM
Hi Gavin
I read that a new queen might be the answer(on the Internet )

maybe if you got the queen in a polynuc though with one drawn comb and some foundation
You might put the nuc on the original hive site and then switch the old box from one side of the nuc to the other a few times
All the hatching bees will still end up in your poly nuc so you don't lose the healthy brood on the bad combs

Just a thought
It is a bit of work when you have plenty other hives still to look after though

madasafish
18-07-2015, 09:17 PM
I have it in hives occupied by swarms with newly mated queens..

(and no AFB - cleared by Bee Inspector:-)

Jon
18-07-2015, 09:23 PM
> and no AFB - cleared by Bee Inspector

Good news.