PDA

View Full Version : Heather timing.... the 12th?

Poly Hive
03-07-2015, 05:18 PM
I profoundly disagree with the 12th of August as in my experience it is too late. Not always but... it can be very expensive if it is.

"Over and over the old chestnut of the Glorious 12th as the starting date appears in print. If you want a heather crop it pays, literally to be on your moor by the third week in July.
I attended one honey show and the "worthies" were moaning about the failure of the heather that year. I smiled quietly having extracted a ton of the gloriously pungent honey. The so called failure of the heather that year was in reality the failure of the beekeepers to get the bees there in time. It was and is that simple.
As for starvation on the moors if the weather is reasonable they will work away quite happily amongst the myriad of little flowers that exist amongst the heather stems. Go up now and have a look for yourself. Obviously if the weather is dire then that is quite another matter. I have had some supers of very nice moor honey before the Ling flow commences.
The advice about having the brood box full of brood is good, and two broods full of brood are doubly better than the one. Remember the heather is hard on the bees with the spiders taking their toll as well as the bees wearing them selves out.
Another useful trick is to put a couple of cut comb frames in the supers to give yourself the chance of some lovely comb honey, your customers and or friends will appreciate the delicacy.
Get organised, get going and get there early, it winna wait for you, trust me on this.

PH"

drumgerry
03-07-2015, 07:58 PM
I think the starting date is very dependent whereabouts in the country you are - I suspect the East Midlands (do they have heather there?) is very much earlier than us here in Speyside - if anything on or around the 12th would be a not untypical start date for me. No one date to suit all. Not sure what you mean about "spiders" tbh!

Bridget
03-07-2015, 10:39 PM
Agree with Drumgerry that it will depend on where you are. There are plenty of heather moors in Dorset (though no grouse) and I should imagine they will be starting to bloom now. I noted last year that a commercial beekeeper brought his hives to the heather near me on the 28th July and that the heather was just out, though the bell heather was earlier. Never heard the one about the glorious 12 apart from referring to grouse. The heather is well out by then around here.
As for spiders ....... It's their webs that are the problem I would think. The heather can be covered in little webs which can be clearly seen in the early morning with dew on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poly Hive
04-07-2015, 08:29 AM
My timings referred to my 20 odd years of experience in Aberdeenshire. Both Glen Dye and Deeside. :) And yes there is heather here in the High Peaks but access is very difficult.

PH

drumgerry
04-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Well based on the past 12 years of my experience here in Speyside I can't say as I've seen ling in flower before the start of August at the earliest and we're usually a good bit into August in most years. Not sure there's a particular rule about timings except that you need to know your own area and act accordingly. Bell heather has just come out here btw.