PDA

View Full Version : Beekeeping

blades
18-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Hello... I've been thinking about getting into beekeeping for sometime. I've read up a little and enjoyed the forum posts. One thing I've not found the answer too... I was wondering if anyone could give me an indication of how much time either per day or per week that you should have available to keep say 1 hive correctly? And for 2 hives would you just double that time etc.

Thank you in advance

busybeephilip
18-06-2015, 10:23 AM
I'd find out where your local club is first and join, then spend time at apiary open days. Books don't teach the practical experience that is required. Beginners tend to spend an overly long time examining a hive, an experienced person might spend only a few minutes especially if there is a lot of hives to manage. Average beginner might spend 30mins/hive due to the fascination effect rather than just getting on with it.

There is also an addiction - once you've "got bees" bad then you just cant stop !

gavin
18-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Hello! I'd maybe expand that to an hour once a week in the active season visiting one hive, plus extra time to prepare equipment such as boxes and frames, the time taken to source such things, and yet more time to ponder what you've seen and work out what to do next.

Within a few weeks I'll have bees in Glen Isla and Glen Clova - happy to show you if you want. We also have events near Longforgan where our association apiary lies. We have some members in the glens (and all the way to the Carse of Gowrie) and run beginners classes in Feb-May.

eastofscotlandbeekeepers.org.uk

G.

blades
18-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I would certainly join a club once I decide that I'm committed and assured I can allow enough time to keep them correctly. All being well, I'm actually moving to a property at Glen Isla with 6 acres so I really hope to keep perhaps 2 hives and see how I do.

Easy beesy
18-06-2015, 10:57 PM
Hi blades. There's a slide in here that might help. It's designed for me to talk students through it but it gives you an idea. Hope this works - if not pm me. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d92p4n2wxcqnqmk/Intro%20to%20Bking%20-%20generic%20%281%29.ppt?dl=0.

The Drone Ranger
19-06-2015, 01:55 AM
Hi Blades
One of the most important things is being able to recognise disease and deal with Varroa so I would recommend you take up Gavin's kind offer and get an idea of whats involved before you make your decision

blades
19-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Hi blades. There's a slide in here that might help. It's designed for me to talk students through it but it gives you an idea. Hope this works - if not pm me. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d92p4n2wxcqnqmk/Intro%20to%20Bking%20-%20generic%20%281%29.ppt?dl=0.

Thank you Easy Beesy.... what a great resource!!

blades
19-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Hello! I'd maybe expand that to an hour once a week in the active season visiting one hive, plus extra time to prepare equipment such as boxes and frames, the time taken to source such things, and yet more time to ponder what you've seen and work out what to do next.

Within a few weeks I'll have bees in Glen Isla and Glen Clova - happy to show you if you want. We also have events near Longforgan where our association apiary lies. We have some members in the glens (and all the way to the Carse of Gowrie) and run beginners classes in Feb-May.

eastofscotlandbeekeepers.org.uk

G.

Hi Gavin, yes Id certainly love that... Thank you for the kind offer. I will PM you over the weekend if thats OK

Easy beesy
19-06-2015, 07:23 AM
I've never been called a great resource before! But glad you find it helpful. It's the presentation I put together for the "everything you wanted to know about beekeeping ....' talk that I give.