PDA

View Full Version : Further funding from the C B Dennis Trust for the COLOSS CSI Pollen Project

Magnus Peterson
24-04-2015, 12:25 PM
I hope most of you are already aware of the COLOSS CSI Pollen project. This is a Citizen Scientist Investigation into the pollen diversity available for honey-bees, being run on an international basis under the COLOSS umbrella.

In 2015 Scotland is participating for the second year, with currently around 25 volunteer participants. We have our own sub-forum within the "Special Area", and if you wish to join that, then please approach Gavin Ramsay. Participation adds a new and interesting dimension to one's beekeeping, with pollen traps attached to three wooden National (preferably) hives, from which pollen samples are collected on 9 occasions throughout the summer, and are then colour analysed, the results being submitted electronically to the international coordinators in Austria.

Alison Gray and I were very pleased to learn yesterday, that as a result of a report on our successful progress this year to date in the United Kingdom and Irish Republic, the C B Dennis Trust has decided to offer us some additional funding for this year for the provision of additional pollen traps for loan to volunteers. We believe that we are likely to receive funding adequate to provide traps for up to 10 more volunteers.

If you feel that you would like to join us, then please get in touch with me, and I shall give you more detail of what is involved.

Volunteers from anywhere in Scotland are very welcome. We already have a good geographical scatter all the way from Orkney in the north to Dumfries and Galloway in the south. However there are some gaps, notably in Fife and Angus, as well as a rather sparse representation in the south-west. So volunteers from those areas would be particularly welcome.

I hope some of you will be interested to participate, and if so do get in touch with me by replying to this post, or of course by post or telephone.

Magnus Peterson
Scottish National Coordinator
COLOSS CSI Pollen project
Balhaldie House
High Street
Dunblane
FK15 0ER

Tel: 01786-822093