PDA

View Full Version : Flow hive

GRIZZLY
26-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Anyone seen the video on the " Flow hive " -honey on tap !

Adam
26-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Yes, there's quite a lot about it all over the place. Lots of dollars pledged for the crowd funding too. Interesting idea.

HJBee
27-02-2015, 07:22 AM
There is a lot of photos of this over Facebook and the Twitterverse. I would like to see how this woks, how does it tap sealed honey? Or are you getting thus before capping and is it actually honey? Also how do you moderate what the bees get v what is tapped off?

GRIZZLY
27-02-2015, 09:57 AM
I wondered if it is an advanced 1st April posting ?. I also notice the absence of bees around the "honey" outlet. My bees would be in VERY close attendance.

prakel
27-02-2015, 10:14 AM
I always like to see people doing 'stuff' and have nothing but respect for the way that these guys have developed and promoted their idea. Sadly, the actual product appears only to replace the existing way of pulling honey in the apiary with another, more expensive method. It does nothing with regards bottling to legal standards etc, so all that work is still there.

How long before someone asks for funding to build hive top fan assisted heaters which initially drive the bees out of the supers and then get up to temperature to melt the comb out, into a similar collection pipe so that really natural beekeepers can sell honey, wax and get to replace their comb every year? With Gavin's permission I'll link our crowdfunder page as soon as it's live :).

gavin
27-02-2015, 11:15 AM
How long before someone asks for funding to build hive top fan assisted heaters which initially drive the bees out of the supers and then get up to temperature to melt the comb out, into a similar collection pipe so that really natural beekeepers can sell honey, wax and get to replace their comb every year? With Gavin's permission I'll link our crowdfunder page as soon as it's live :).

Solar powered or one of those new fuel cell things based on honey that you'll find on *my* crowdfunding page?!

Once you've got the power supply sorted build in a DNA testing microfacility for bee genotyping (Amm of course) and you could partner with Phil Chandler who would happily do the marketing for you.

Sounds like an ideal use of forum space to me.

Poly Hive
27-02-2015, 12:03 PM
*Snort*

Biotoxic.

PH

gavin
27-02-2015, 02:35 PM
From 1940:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2223561.pdf

Pete L
27-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Good find, Gavin... could soon be another patent to join it.

Adam
27-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Great find!

So... if the idea didn't catch on in the 1940's, what's changed to make it work now?

madasafish
27-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Great find!

So... if the idea didn't catch on in the 1940's, what's changed to make it work now?

The internet. More gullible punters easily accessed.

gavin
27-02-2015, 04:18 PM
The internet. More gullible punters easily accessed.

Exactly. Though it just might work for some people in some circumstances - I wouldn't rule it out.

I didn't do much to find it, just pasted the link from a Bee-L post.

fatshark
27-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Lines 10-11 in the Claims: "… the work of collecting the honey, which is long, fatiguing and even dangerous …" makes our gentle pastime sound positively macho.

HJBee
27-02-2015, 08:59 PM
I wondered if it is an advanced 1st April posting ?. I also notice the absence of bees around the "honey" outlet. My bees would be in VERY close attendance.

As would the local Wasps!

madasafish
27-02-2015, 09:04 PM
You are all wrong. In a typical Scottish summerit's too cold for the honey to flow....:-)

GRIZZLY
24-04-2015, 08:32 AM
I see theres now a video posted on the net of the thing in action. My honey is much thicker than theirs so wouldn't flow like that. None of it seemed to be sealed so could lead to fermentation of unripe "honey"