PDA

View Full Version : local beekeeping supplier unhelpful

Stromnessbees
25-05-2010, 12:09 PM
In our quest to keep varroa out of Orkney as long as possible we had decided to take action:

One of our ideas was to contact reputable suppliers of bees to ask them that in case somebody would order bees for Orkney they should pass on the address of our Beekeeping Society so that we would be able to advise them re. not importing varroa.

The suppliers South of the border were all very helpful and agreed to do this. A more local supplier based near Inverness, on the other hand, declared that there was no point in doing so and refused.

Very disappointing indeed.
Doris

gavin
25-05-2010, 05:37 PM
There is one to the south of Inverness and another to the NW - I wonder which you mean? I think that I could guess, on past behaviour.

What are you intending to do now? Does the company advertise in the Scottish Beekeeper?

Stromnessbees
29-05-2010, 11:20 PM
There is one to the south of Inverness ...

... that'll be the one.

Does the company advertise in the Scottish Beekeeper?

Yes. I was actually hoping to call by there this summer and get some supplies, but have changed my mind now.

Doris

Jimbo
31-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi Doris,

If you don't get co-operation from suppliers then the other way is by education of beekeepers and publicity to the public i.e write an article for your local paper, posters etc. A number of years ago we tried to prevent varroa coming onto our Peninsula. We managed for about 3 years but were beaten we think by a new person moving to the area from south of the border and bringing his bees with him. To his credit when he was informed we were varroa free he moved his bees away. The other possible link was a new beekeeper getting a nuc from just outside our area from a beekeeping association, which was not our local association. In both cases it was hard to prove the source. The point is it is not only the suppliers at fault but can be other beekeepers.

Jimbo

Jimbo

Stromnessbees
31-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks, Jimbo,

yes, we are working on several fronts here, trying to get the information out.

We'll see how long we can succeed.

Doris