PDA

View Full Version : Experience of Reduced Laying with Apiguard?

HJBee
03-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Hi, anyone else experienced reduced laying from queens when treating with Apiguard? Doesn't seen to be stopping them bringing in Nectar and Pollen though. H

gavin
03-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Yes, I've seen this and Vita admit that Apiguard (all thymol treatments probably) can put the queen off laying for 'a short period'.

http://www.vita-europe.com/wp-content/uploads/Apiguard.pdf

Not really what you want when the bees are raising their winter bees, but delayed is better than virus ridden.

fatshark
04-09-2014, 09:09 AM
I'd meant to compare laying rates (or lack of them) in young versus old queens this year as I'd previously had the impression that new queens were less likely to be inhibited by Apiguard. However, it's not happened due to pressure of work and interpretation might be difficult because of the relative scarcity of forage which is definitely slowing down the laying rate.

On a related point (new vs. old queens) … side by side comparisons of 5 frame nucs headed by July-mated queens and full colonies headed by 2013 queens show that the former have loads of brood, whereas the latter are almost broodless. I suspect that this is to do with the relative levels of stores in the frames (the nucs have more).

Feckless Drone
04-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Yes, I've seen this

Everytime and in every colony. This and filling the brood box with syrup from feeding I think has reduced the numbers of bees in my colonies going into winter. I am going to use Apivar this year with treatment to start in next few days. I have also been giving small feeds trying to stimulate the Qs to lay. I think it has worked, but there have been a few days where the bees have been bringing in nectar so that might be more relevant. I noted the idea of fondant for winter feeding to help give the Qs space.

mbc
04-09-2014, 07:20 PM
On a related point (new vs. old queens) … side by side comparisons of 5 frame nucs headed by July-mated queens and full colonies headed by 2013 queens show that the former have loads of brood, whereas the latter are almost broodless. I suspect that this is to do with the relative levels of stores in the frames (the nucs have more).

My bees respond a bit differently, old queens in colonies with low populations will still have brood and young queens in colonies with large populations can be completely broodless - though the reverse is more usual ie. new queens in smallish nucs still building and older queens in established colonies with ample populations no longer maintaining a significant nest.
Another example of bees knowing best (@Jon :))

HJBee
04-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments it has made me feel a bit more positive that all is not lost.

Jon
04-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Another example of bees knowing best (@Jon :))

Best wishes with that hypothesis going forward!!