PDA

View Full Version : Increased laying rate after A/S

Floyd
24-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Just an observation from todays inspection.

The queen from the Q+ part of the A/S ( all new foundation) who I had previously assumed was becoming slower to lay due to her age (2.5 seasons) and was also showing a poor laying pattern has gained a new laying vigour.

Now that she is on fresh drawn out comb from brand new foundation, she is laying like the clappers and has laid up all frames (National) since my last inspection on the 28th July with a great laying pattern utilising the entire comb.

Is this something that usually happens. If so would a shook swarm approach to comb change/management be advisable at the beginning of the year?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Jon
24-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Maybe most of the mites were left behind in the brood and that has helped the overall vigour of the colony.

Floyd
24-08-2014, 06:25 PM
I am actually lucky enough to live in one of the varroa free areas of Scotland.

fatshark
24-08-2014, 06:58 PM
I've seen the same thing a couple of times this season. A shook swarm early in the season, or Bailey comb change and/or Demaree (my favoured method of swarm control) often have the same effect. I've no real idea why, but don't think it's due to the majority of the mites being abandoned.

With at least one of mine this year I decided it was because the flow was so strong they were piling the nectar into brood frames, leaving the Q nowhere to lay. The resulting brood pattern looked hopeless and I interpreted this as the Q failing. I did a Demaree (there were QC's present) and she gained a whole new lease of life ... and is still going strong.

Bumble
03-09-2014, 05:16 PM
One of the local SBIs reckons a shook swarm will set a colony back so much that there'll be no honey, another says it gives them more vigour and increases a crop. I've found the latter to be the case, and prefer a shook swarm to a Bailey Frame Change even though it means losing brood. It means the colony is free to build comb and forage straight away, rather than having to nurse young larvae.