PDA

View Full Version : Runny honey

Silvbee
20-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Just finished this years harvest and the honey this year is very runny, I'm thinking lime dominant. My main crop is sycamore but I wondered if lime had had such a good season this year it had dominated the sycamore. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

gavin
21-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Just finished this years harvest and the honey this year is very runny, I'm thinking lime dominant. My main crop is sycamore but I wondered if lime had had such a good season this year it had dominated the sycamore. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Do you know when it came in? Lime would be late June and July, sycamore April into May. The colour and taste of lime gives it away. It is yellow with a greenish tinge, and taste heavenly - perhaps citrus with a hint of mint. Yes, it is a runny honey. This year I got some but no colony filled a super with it. Just a few frames here and and there. Some years have been better, many years nothing at all.

chris
22-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Very runny honey is often an indication of high honeydew content. Do you have many fir trees in your location?

nemphlar
23-08-2014, 09:33 PM
I dropped 3 hives into a new area and hadn't noticed an avenue of lime trees, the chap whose land it is mentioned that the trees were buzzing in the early evening, 4/5 frames in each, too late for the extractor but a realy unique flavour. I may have got some in the past but would have been lost in the mix.

wee willy
25-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Borage is one of the runniest honeys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apiarist
03-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Do you know when it came in? Lime would be late June and July, sycamore April into May. The colour and taste of lime gives it away. It is yellow with a greenish tinge, and taste heavenly - perhaps citrus with a hint of mint. Yes, it is a runny honey. This year I got some but no colony filled a super with it. Just a few frames here and and there. Some years have been better, many years nothing at all.

As long as the honey was capped (ripe) when extracted then the runniness will not be due to it being unripe (too high water content). Other than that, the time of year collected and a look at the forage in the surrounding area shold give the best clues as to its possible origin.