PDA

View Full Version : Storing frames of stores??

POPZ
18-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Yep - done it. Despite much opposition from my ladies and still not able to spot Her Elusive Majesty, which was not helped by three to four layers of ladies all on top of each other, I found a swarm cell with a nice grub in it. This I decided was the time to start a nuc and did so. Well that is another long story and not for this thread - it is too embarrassing!

Now I have taken off the super which had been on all last season, fed the ladies all winter then it got topped up with syrup this spring. I have now added a new super, cleared the original and so have a super of stores to look after with a view to using them for feed whenever needed.

How should I store the stores without them going mouldy/off/away from inquisitive wasps/bees etc etc.??

Incidentally - great sightings of stinkie minkes (whales to the very ignorant!), basking sharks are in as of yesterday so all good and that is why I have been very quiet recently.

Jon
18-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Popz.
As long as the stores are capped over, they should keep almost indefinitely. You need to keep the super in a bee proof area or you will create a feeding frenzy.
If the frames are uncapped, the honey will start to absorb water and will likely ferment.

Re. making up a nuc - be very careful if you can't find the queen, as she could end up in the nuc instead of the main colony.

Regards to the Minkes.

POPZ
18-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi Popz Re. making up a nuc - be very careful if you can't find the queen, as she could end up in the nuc instead of the main colony.Regards to the Minkes.

Thanks Jon.Regarding the above, yes I was aware of that and that is where things got tricky and why I said on my original post that was an avenue I would rather leave at themoment till I know what the final outcome will be - embarrassing I expect. But l was on my own and rather lost - steep learning curve.

Maybe I should start a bet here - where will POPZ's queen be??????

Neils
18-05-2010, 11:37 PM
I'll have a tenner on "In the Nuc", it's got to be, it's the law.

neilr
21-05-2010, 09:29 AM
I'll wager a tenner on in a swallows stomach.

Maybe I should start a bet here - where will POPZ's queen be??????[/QUOTE]

Trog
21-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Sitting on his head enjoying the view?

Trog
25-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I suspect Popz's queen's been in contact with two of mine - wonder if there's a buzzy version of twitter - giving advice on camouflage! Had to go through two colonies twice yesterday trying to find Their Elusive Majesties during a split. The other queens, whom we didn't need to find, strolled by and waved in passing while we were inspecting their colonies!

Neils
26-05-2010, 02:41 PM
If it's any consolation I was looking at a colony yesterday that we knew had an unmarked queen in. They covered a grand total of three/four frames of bees and between three of us we couldn't find her.

Trog
26-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Yup! That's consolation!