PDA

View Full Version : Frame making epiphany

fatshark
11-07-2014, 09:27 PM

Old news for many of you I'm sure, but a total revelation to me :)
I was generously given a Tacwise EL191 nail gun and used it for the first time today.
40 frames later ...
Awesome

brothermoo
11-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Yes I got handed a compressor and gun by my dad and it certainly speeds the process up!

gavin
13-07-2014, 12:32 PM

Old news for many of you I'm sure, but a total revelation to me :)
I was generously given a Tacwise EL191 nail gun and used it for the first time today.
40 frames later ...
Awesome

Sorely tempted!

Has anyone tried the manual type, are they as effective? No electricity in the apiary shed .....

Stanley Heavy Duty Staple Nail Gun (http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-heavy-duty-staple-nail-gun/53860) is £25 at Screwfix.

Are folk happy with 20mm brads in place of the usual frame nails?

fatshark
13-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Hi Gavin
Buy a generator. Believe me, it's worth it.
I'm sad enough that when my son challenged me to "make 10 as fast as possible" I had a go … 11 minutes 40 seconds from start to ready to add foundation i.e. only one bottom bar fitted. And this included gluing all the nailed joints. I made 66 frames Friday evening and Saturday morning, some for cut comb, some foundationless and about half with standard full sheet of foundation. Easy peasy.

The same model will take up to 35mm nails, suitable for making brood boxes and supers, these are on order. Can't comment on the manual ones, but I do know there are some rechargeable models … for £££ I'm afraid.

fatshark
16-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Amazon appear to be selling a Tacwise 191ELS Nail Gun (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacwise-191ELS-Selection-Staple-Bundle/dp/B00ID7AFX4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410850962&sr=8-2&keywords=tacwise+191) for under £40 … less than half RRP and significantly less than the ~£70 they've been selling it for recently.

An early Christmas present to accompany all those 2nd quality frames from the Thorne's sale?

EK.Bee
16-09-2014, 08:29 AM
I think you've got me converted
Apart from speed a benefit is the use of stainless steel brads
It is easier to split the wood if you are clumsy with placing the brads
I also use a dab of PU glue using a cocktail stick on all the joints

GRIZZLY
16-09-2014, 08:38 AM
I bought a Tacwise nail gun and was most disappointed with it. I found it wouldn't fully push the tacks into the frames and had to finish them off with a hammer. I finished up by buying a small compressor and tack gun from Axminster power tools in Devon which works brilliantly. The speed of frame making is only controlled by how fast you can slot the parts together - the tacking only taking seconds. Gavin - If you want to try the tackwise item, I'll bring it with me to Llangollen and you can take it home with you , I have no further use for it - I don't want anything for it.

GRIZZLY
16-09-2014, 09:02 AM
You need the narrow staples Gavin , the Screwfix stapler is used for wide staples and not realy suitable for frames.

fatshark
16-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Grizzly … the Tacwise gun I have tends to leave the nail heads proud unless you press the 'nose' firmly onto the wood. If you do this they are driven in cleanly every time. I've used it for both frame building and putting Thorne's roofs together using 30mm or 35mm (can't remember which … the largest the gun takes) nails and it works faultlessly. However, if held slightly off square, or just rested on the wood, the rebound leaves the heads proud and I have to tidy things up with a hammer.

Gavin … there's an offer you can't refuse ;)

Castor
16-09-2014, 07:30 PM
I have two Tacwise ones - one little 'un which does frames brilliantly and t'other that will do 50mm brads. I'd recommend them both.

Both will recoil a little leaving the head slightly proud unless firmly held as others have discovered. Newton's third etc.

fatshark
29-12-2014, 09:46 AM
The Tacwise ELS191 nail gun (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ID7AFX4/ref=gb1h_img_c-2_3927_0039e3e4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1M2NTM7SAXHSMRCZME33&pf_rd_i=118857031&pf_rd_p=570823927) is going to be in the Amazon "Boxing Day Sale" today … the listing starts at 12.20pm but stops once they've sold out. No idea what the price will be. This model is currently at about £80 but has been as low as £33 (for a few days only … according to camelcamelcamel (http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Tacwise-191ELS-Selection-Staple-Bundle/product/B00ID7AFX4?utm_campaign=chrome_ext&utm_source=product_link_ttp&utm_medium=www)) this year. Highly recommended for frame and flatpack hive assembly.

Happy New Year

mbc
29-12-2014, 10:28 AM
I'll have a look later, thanks for the heads up.
Seasons greetings all :)

greengumbo
04-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Just realised I have one of these in the garage: http://www.screwfix.com/p/stapler-nailer/10110

Site thinks it takes something called 15mm 18ga brads...which are nails.

Might try giving it a spin for frames.

busybeephilip
04-02-2015, 10:07 PM
I've got the same brad firing nialgun - just watch your fingers !!!!

Poly Hive
15-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Hmm.. my experience with Tacwise has not been happy. At all.

Plywood = jam.

Dense wood = jam

Staples whiles do not fit = jam.

The price via our beloved friends Big T is astronomic... Screwfal off is 50% cheaper. And a better returns policy.

I am contemplating my two jammed machines. I suspect it will be dump and buy a nailer that can actually nail.

PH

Pete L
16-02-2015, 12:16 AM
I suspect it will be dump and buy a nailer that can actually nail.

We use Ace & K nail guns, slightly more expensive, and a small compressor needed, but they are well made, and i find them to be very reliable.
http://www.nailers.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=707

Castor
16-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Hmm.. my experience with Tacwise has not been happy. At all.

Plywood = jam.

Dense wood = jam

Staples whiles do not fit = jam.

The price via our beloved friends Big T is astronomic... Screwfal off is 50% cheaper. And a better returns policy.

I am contemplating my two jammed machines. I suspect it will be dump and buy a nailer that can actually nail.

PH

I've go two - 2" one & 3/4" one; both can give trouble/jam etc. if not kept scrupulously clean. So stiff brush and solvent clean of the magazine and hammer assembly and very light spray of silicone/ptfe/WD40 type lube and all should be well.

busybeephilip
16-02-2015, 10:08 AM
I like the idea of the Ace and K as they have a longer nail length capacity of 2 inch (50mm), it would give my compressor something to do, havent had any jamming problems with els191 .

GRIZZLY
16-02-2015, 05:15 PM
I use Axminster staple gun with their small compressor. I'm using 3/4 long by 3/16 wide staples and they work a treat. Use 3/4 frame nails on bottom bars to facilitate re-waxing in the future. No jamming and never had a failure yet. I didn't get on with my Tacwise gun and gave it away, Hope the new owner has more success.

gavin
17-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Hope the new owner has more success.

So do I when the time comes :D. He's still grateful! One tip I learned from a quick scan of this thread: PolyHive seems to lubricate his with jam, jam, jam, and that doesn't work. All these raspberry pips must get in the way. I must find somethng better ....

Castor
17-02-2015, 08:03 PM
So do I when the time comes :D. He's still grateful! One tip I learned from a quick scan of this thread: PolyHive seems to lubricate his with jam, jam, jam, and that doesn't work. All these raspberry pips must get in the way. I must find somethng better ....

I've come across a few who have had difficulties, and it's turned out to be glue or other gunge caught up in it. Sawdust & WD40 mush was another. The little lightweight ones are operating close to the edge of their capabilities and everything has to be right. Good hand pressure & not letting the gun recoil is another thing.

Oh, and jam will jam. So will honey & propolis.... that was another.....

Poly Hive
17-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Well dinna try honey the bees are dreadful for getting stuck or should I say jammed.

With any kit the acid question is would one buy it again. Tacdaft.. never ever again.

PH

gavin
18-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Here's a man who *really* knows how to use his Tacwise. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1541282466147516&set=pcb.802999183068880&type=1&theater

Not sure if the link will work but that's a cracking pile of frames.

fatshark
18-02-2015, 06:04 AM
Make sure you view the 'previous' and 'next' images as well. I like the ceiling-mounted storage solution.
I've only once seen a bigger pile of prepared frames than the stack next to the bike … a large lorry load (literally) in a shed near you Gavin.

busybeephilip
18-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Here's a man who *really* knows how to use his Tacwise. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1541282466147516&set=pcb.802999183068880&type=1&theater

Not sure if the link will work but that's a cracking pile of frames.

Thats a real case of bee fever - way to go, megga

gavin
18-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Rather than brush off the Tacwise I took piles of frame components and wax sheets to the first of our beginners' classes last night and we got them to wield light hammers. They get to write their names on the top bars so can visit the association apiary later to see what the bees think of their handiwork.

greengumbo
19-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Rather than brush off the Tacwise I took piles of frame components and wax sheets to the first of our beginners' classes last night and we got them to wield light hammers. They get to write their names on the top bars so can visit the association apiary later to see what the bees think of their handiwork.

Excellent delegation work Gav. I'm not sure I would trust some of my associates to wield lighters let alone light hammers.

Poly Hive
20-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Just for the record my jamming was with brand new machines, fresh out the box. No chance of crud build up and I have a bit of experience with machinery after some 28 years in the oilfields. They are frankly not fit for purpose.

PH

GRIZZLY
20-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Just for the record my jamming was with brand new machines, fresh out the box. No chance of crud build up and I have a bit of experience with machinery after some 28 years in the oilfields. They are frankly not fit for purpose.

PH

Likewise., the one I got fed up with and passed on was also straight out of the box. I'll stick to my little compressor and staple gun - never given a moments problem.

Castor
20-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Aaaaaaaaand also for the record is that I have similar credentials and mine continue to work fine. I've just thrown up a shed using the bigger one, and my wife's making super frames as I write with the little one - no hint of a jam on either.

Maybe they have had a quality management issue? Who can tell?