PDA

View Full Version : Potential land for bees

Peter Robson
18-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Dear SBA

I work for ScottishPower Renewables as an ecologist and am responsible for the management of 6500ha of mainly upland habitat across our operational windfarms. We have a number of Habitat Management Plans covering these sites to enhance the biodiversity of these sites, primarily aimed at habitat restoration and species recovery. Recently I received a query from a colleague in our site operations team who mentioned a contractor had kept bees on a site during construction, and whether or not it is feasible/desirable to promote the use of our sites for beekeepers. I have no idea whether this is something of interest to the beekeeping community, or whether our land areas are suitable for your needs, but if anyone may be interested in making use of our land-holding for this purpose please let me know and we can investigate further. The locations of our windfarms can be seen on our website:

http://www.scottishpowerrenewables.com/pages/our-business.asp

Kind Regards
Peter Robson

drumgerry
18-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I would have been interested but unfortunately you have no sites in my area:(

Where there are wind farms in Moray that I know of they are on prime heather moors. Not sure if the turbines would have an effect on the bees sited there.

Gerry

gavin
18-05-2010, 05:12 PM
That's a superb offer Peter, thanks. I may have an interest in Green Knowes for a local association apiary we are currently setting up for the East of Scotland Beekeepers Association. That site, and probably most of your sites, might be suitable as a heather site for the late summer, but would probably be too exposed and with insufficient forage for much of the year.

I've sent a link to this thread to the Area Representatives in the SBA who will forward it to the local association secretaries in their area.

thanks again

Gavin

Jon
18-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Gav:
Would any of them be suitably isolated for a mating apiary or are they all too exposed?

gavin
19-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Its a possibility that occurred to me. I don't think that there are commercial bees in the Ochils and there could be a decent mating site there, plus a late season heather site.

Peter Robson
21-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Im afraid I cannot advise on the suitability of the sites for bees, but if anyone would like to visit a site to have a look at what is on offer I would be happy to arrange this and give you the dime tour!

Most the sites are quite exposed by nature (i.e. good for wind) but for example at Green Knowes while the turbines are up on top of the hill there is an access track which leads up a valley which is relatively sheltered (although the habitat is mainly acid grassland rather than heather moor). We have also planted 20ha of broadleaved trees in this valley (to benefit black grouse primarily) so as these grow I would hope there is even greater shelter within the valley. I have inserted an aerial photo below which may help.

gavin
21-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks Peter. Broadleaf trees can be very good, depending on the species of course. I'll send you a private message in a few days when I have more time.

One beekeeper who received the SBA-wide circular on this got in touch as she was very concerned about the effects of wind farms on birds. Are you able to comment on whether the Scottish Power sites are likely to have much effect on bird populations? I know this is getting away from beekeeping, but I thought that you might like the chance to comment.

thanks

Gavin