PDA

View Full Version : Problem Hive and swarm or cast on tree trunk

JohnnyD
08-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi All

I had a swarm about 3 weeks ago, and a cast left yesterday, but has either retuned today, or i have another swarm in the garden

how do i rescue this swarm on a trunk ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0c3n0rAFfLQY19XY0haazlqeHc/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks

JD

gavin
08-06-2014, 11:20 AM
On the ground: sheet of some kind, then a box (cardboard is fine).

Take a sheet of thin card or even paper, large enough to leave a tail hanging down to direct falling clumps of bees into your box. Gently slide the paper/card up the trunk and very close to the trunk, dislodging clumps of bees which should then slide down the chute you created and into the box. Once you've got most of the cluster in, gently invert the box and prop open with a stone, stick or whatever comes to hand. In the stooshie there will be bees fanning in various places, but within a few minutes those where the queen is will know from the aroma and they are the ones that will continue to call bees in. If you missed the queen they'll probably gather at the original site so let them settle and try again. So try to get as much of the cluster as possible in the box and fairly quickly turn it over before they all head for the skies.

I've done that successfully several times (even a couple of times this year).

cheers

G.

JohnnyD
08-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Hi Gavin

OK i think i have them in there, hit and miss to the point i was just grabbing them in bunches.....

I only had empty brood frames to put in the brood box, how long will that be ok for ? I can bodge some super foundation to fit the brood frames, or shall i just wait until i can order some ?

I have put 1 frame of super in there for food for now

Thanks

JD

gavin
08-06-2014, 02:45 PM
I'd put super foundation in brood frames now to keep them on the straight and narrow. They'll be in a mood to draw comb.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

JohnnyD
08-06-2014, 02:48 PM
is it safe to open the new hive up so soon gavin ?

also just noticed in my haste to gather the swarm today, the orientation of the frames is 90 degrees out on the brood box, does that matter ?

JD

gavin
08-06-2014, 07:06 PM
1. Yes.
2. No!

G.

JohnnyD
08-06-2014, 09:53 PM
many thanks gavin, hive sealed and moved just now

:D