PDA

View Full Version : SBA Membership

JohnnyD
07-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Hi All

Newbie to the forum here.......Quick question....Can i join the SBA at £30 PA if I live in England and my hives are all in England, am i still covered insurance wise etc?

Many Thanks

JD

gavin
07-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Hi JD

As far as I remember anyone can join the SBA but your hives have to be in Scotland to be covered by insurance and compensation.

G.

JohnnyD
08-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Ah yes, i can see that in the website services tab now, that is a shame :(

Thanks anyway

JD

Hi JD

As far as I remember anyone can join the SBA but your hives have to be in Scotland to be covered by insurance and compensation.

G.

Mellifera Crofter
08-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Johnny, I think the BBKA runs a similar insurance scheme.

gavin
08-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Johnny, I think the BBKA runs a similar insurance scheme.

And, interestingly for an organisation with 'British' in its name (I've commented on that before!), its BDI Scheme is restricted to folk/bees in England and Wales:

http://www.beediseasesinsurance.co.uk/becoming-a-member

Becoming a Member Note that BDI cover is only offered to beekeepers living in England and Wales. Scotland & Northern Ireland have their own arrangements.

You can become a member in one of two ways.

As an Individual Member

If you join the British Beekeepers Association (BBKA) as an individual member, you can then join BDI and benefit from the insurance cover we provide. Details of how to join the BBKA as an individual member can be found here (http://www.bbka.org.uk/join_us/individual_members)

As a Member of a Beekeeping Organisation

Most members of BDI join as part of their membership of their local beekeeping group. Joining a group of local beekeepers give access to support and training for new and experienced beekeepers alike. Just search for beekeeping groups in your location to find the nearest group to you.

fatshark
08-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Why does my SBA membership card say "expires 18th September 2014" on it?

;)

gavin
08-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Must be a misprint. I think that there are another 18 months or so to sort everything out afterwards.

Hey - how can I *possibly* respond to such a post without getting political one way or another?! My lips are sealed on which way I'm going .... or indeed whether I get around to getting my name on the electoral register (seem to have dropped off during some recent moves).

But rest assured that I will be demanding a seat at the table where transitional arrangements are being agreed, as the SBAi representative. The Warwick Question will be uppermost in our thoughts.

JohnnyD
09-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Its a shame the SBA doesn't cover hives outside of Scotland, its a wee bit cheaper than the BBKA

JD

Bridget
10-06-2014, 10:49 PM
It's a wee bit cheaper because the area of Scotland is a wee bit less than the area of England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gavin
11-06-2014, 08:53 AM
It's a wee bit cheaper because the area of Scotland is a wee bit less than the area of England.

..... and .... we have some folk keeping bees in bee houses in Scotland which generally reduces the risk, another reason for cheaper insurance and compensation. You certainly can't get cheaper than free, free with the free magazine with your £30 annual subscription.

Easy beesy
17-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Fee to join my branch of BBKA is £20. I joined both sba and BBKA - well worth it IMHO