PDA

View Full Version : If Custer was a queen, was this the 'last stand'?

Alvearium
12-05-2010, 09:39 PM
An isolated apiary went 'down' with this last bad winter. Eventually the snow cleared and I managed to reach the last hive I thought might have survived. There was no sun able to get through all winter due to rapidly growing conifers and the ground was sodden under foot.........
When I opened the hive there were 3 workers and the remaining queen barely alive.

gavin
13-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Sad to learn of another bad loss. Were the bees in this apiary special (I'm wondering if their isolation means something)? Are you trying to save that remaining queen?

We discussed plans for a new association apiary on Monday, and were thinking of investing in some polyhives. Until now wood would always have been my preference.

G.

Alvearium
13-05-2010, 09:04 PM
No Gavin, I'm not trying to save the queen. She was beyond help and probably very sick from viral infections. Don't you think she looks a little odd and 'poorly' in the photo? This was a site with native bees but was infiltrated with foreign stock over the past 2 years at least. As usual it proved not to be isolated as I latterly discovered there were beekeepers quite close by.

Regarding wood vs poly hives think carefully before committing yourself. Many, many years ago I bought 3 poly hives which were modified Langstroth bodies that took 13 BS Smith frames arranged the warm way. I tried to save money by making wooden supers for them; it never really worked and I was later told that mixed wood / poly hives are no good. Either they should be all wood or all poly. Must be something to do with an even heat distribution. I heard a Finnish beekeeper talking last year about his beekeeping and it was all in wooden hives. If it works in Finland why not in Scotland? But there again almost all the German and Danish beekeepers seem to have opted for poly hives.
The bottom line for me is the cost.
Alvearium

gavin
13-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Hi A

We'll be careful. The only sensible option would be National polys so that frames - if nothing else - can be exchanged with those from the wooden ones. The sudden enthusiasm for polyhives is from hearing about various people's losses. Those who insulated their wooden hives (polystyrene on top) generally had better survival. Two commercial beekeepers have now told me that their wooden hives have had poor survival or weak survivors, and polyhives have been much better.

I think that you may have told me about that apiary. If so, it seemed to be one that was quite important to you.

Did you make any attempt to look for Nosema or acarine? Do you want me to?

best wishes

Gavin