PDA

View Full Version : So where did SHE come from ?

Little_John
23-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Wouldn't normally have opened a hive this morning - between storm fronts - but Sod's Law being what it is, a frame of 3-day old larvae was ready and needed - so open-up the hive it was to be. What I didn't do was the full inspection I'd planned - 'cause they were in no mood for it. Just one frame swap.

It was while closing-up I spotted a queen on the ground, being investigated by a couple of girls - this queen being a golden colour - quite attractive I suppose, but definitely not one of mine.

So - where on earth did she come from ? The only explanation I can offer is that she must have got caught-out in the extreme weather of the last 24 hrs, and that as opening-up a hive this morning had put up quite a cloud of bees - she must have been attracted to the activity. Guess she was seriously lost, poor thing.

Right now she's in a nuc, where the girls are trying to kill her of course, but hopefully they'll accept her eventually.

It's been a funny ol' day ...

LJ

Little_John
24-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Bit of an update ...

Over the winter I'd made an observation/introduction board and cage with a view to introducing some 'new blood' AMM queens this summer, so am currently using these for a 'dummy run' with this orphaned Buckfast-type queen.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/obsboard.html
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/knighttaberdews.html

Must say that first impressions are very favourable. You certainly wouldn't want to be using such elaborate kit on all introductions, but for those that REALLY matter, and where failure just isn't acceptable, then this kit is highly recommended.

I've made the whole board (not just the introduction cover) from perspex, and being able to judge the 'mood' of the colony by direct observation is proving very handy. Another intro tip I picked up from a Swedish beekeeper, is to run a match gently over the intro cage. If the bees hang on relentlessly, then a longer intro period is necessary, but if they cooperatively lift their legs to let the match pass under them, then their interest in the queen is one of attraction, not regicide. Will be trying this ... if the rain ever stops.

LJ

Rosie
24-05-2014, 01:04 PM
That all looks good to me. I will be interested in your results. I think old Cushy should have been knighted. Al least he will not be forgotten for a very long time.

prakel
24-05-2014, 01:06 PM
For a couple of years or so, fuelled by the writing's of Wyatt Mangum, I've been collecting bits of information from all sorts of sources regarding examples of usurpation of colonies by swarms of european honeybees as well as by 'stray' queens (usually put down to them accidentally entering the wrong hive on return from a mating flight). It's surprising how many references there are although they're often just fleeting remarks, a notable exception is in Willie Robson's 'Reflections on Beekeeping' where he discusses usurpation by amm swarms.

Little_John
24-05-2014, 06:29 PM
I think old Cushy should have been knighted. Al least he will not be forgotten for a very long time.

Absolutely - the guy became a legend in his own lifetime ... Whenever I'm stuck for an idea, or for clarification - his site is the reference I always use.

In case it's of interest, here's the kit I'm using over a NUC:

http://i62.tinypic.com/xelcg7.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2wr2m4o.jpg

D'you like the use of an old English shilling ? It's really there to provide a little weight for the cage cover, but I thought every Queen should have a Coat of Arms ... LOL

LJ

Little_John
05-06-2014, 06:04 PM
That all looks good to me. I will be interested in your results.

I've been waiting until I had something definitive to report - and as the sun came out for a few hours this afternoon I was able to check a couple of boxes - the 'orphan queen' has now produced BIAS, so all's well with that particular girl. Very pleased. :)

Next time I use the Dave Cushman Introduction Board, I'll try a tip from Larry Connor - which is to use tape instead of fondant, and when it's considered safe to release the queen, remove the tape and walk her in. If there are signs of aggression, then rescue her for a few more days 'behind bars'. But if they fuss and feed, then you can walk away in the knowledge that she's probably safe.
Never done that before - but the idea of observing during the actual moment of introduction sounds very sensible to me. I only hope that having the top of the box open doesn't prejudice the event.

LJ