PDA

View Full Version : Tips for acquiring an out-apiary?

EK.Bee
29-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Hi,
Going to meet with a landowner re getting a site for a couple of hives
Anyone have any good advice on how to get a result?
Does anyone have written materials they use for this or do you just wing it?
Any suggestions on what kind of points I should be making would be most kindly welcomed

busybeephilip
29-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Well, it seems the Landowner has already agreed in principle the idea of having a site for bees on his property, he might have experience of bees or be interested. Its up to you to agree the location that he might suggest to you or you state what type of area you are looking for not forgetting reasonable access by car in wet weather. If the land is used for livestock then unless you can provide proper agricultural grade fencing it might be better to look elsewhere. Stay at least 100yds away from residential property, it takes only one sting for your precious bees to get the blame. Same applies to ramblers who might just be tempted to kick your hives over. so you want somewhere in a corner tucked out of site away from peoples view. Dont forget bees are often stolen so an akward place to get at eg opening and closing locked gates can be an advantage. If there is outbuildings pick a site that you need to pass by the buildings, some farmers like to have someone they can trust to keep an eye on things as you visit your bees as your regular visit s can help deter farm theifts. Avoid areas that might flood and stay away from chestnut trees as they attract kids in the autumn

As for paperwork, I usually mention this once a place has been agreed - along the lines of "if you want a written agreement I can provide or will a shake of the hand do" , farmers usually are happy enough to accept a verbal deal, Then agree a couple jars of honey for rent.

EK.Bee
29-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Bit more tentative than an agreement in principal but it wasn't a flat no either. Meeting on Friday to discuss so fingers crossed
Thanks for all your points

EK.Bee
02-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Permission granted today :)

busybeephilip
02-05-2014, 02:12 PM
I bet you will be expanding into another site before long