PDA

View Full Version : First Season

Wallace
12-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Hiya!

This all looks very interesting... This is my first post, so I am bound to get all the lingo back to front!

1. Ok, looking to start up this year;is this possible, no prior experience, but reading lots and have booked onto a beginners course...
2. Where is the best place to buy a hive? New or second hand?
3. I am interested in indigenous black honey bees, where can I get these?
4. I am based around St Andrews, is there anyone in the area I can meet up with to discuss moving forward?

Cheers,

Wallace.

drumgerry
12-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Hi Wallace - welcome to the forum and to the world of beekeeping. Your life will never be the same again!

1. No reason why not if you can get some bees and kit and you're willing to put the effort in.
2. Depends whether you want to go down the wooden route or the polystyrene route. If you opt for National hives the best polys in my opinion are by Swienty/Denrosa as sold by C Wynne Jones and Highland Bee Supplies. Wooden hives - the main contenders will be Thornes, Maisemore, or Caddon hives (a bit more reasonable in price). I would go for new if you're starting up but second hand is doable if you blow torch the insides to sterilise them (wood only!)
3. and 4. get on to your local association and see what the story is re bee supply. Maybe Gavin will be along or Drone Ranger - they're not too far from you (within 50 miles or so anyway) and might be able to give you some good local-ish advice.

Best of luck!

crabbitdave
13-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Morning all, hi Wallace I still class myself as a beginner there is so much choice and you'll find if ask 3 beekeepers 1 question you'll get 4 answers lol, I've had hives from cadden hives nice timber and for a good price too, but it's all ways best to shop around as you never seam to have enough equipment once you get started, am pretty sure Enid brown has an apiary near St. Andrews of lovely black bees she can be found on the sba site and can you local association who are always keen to help will be on there to.
Best of luck
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo
13-03-2014, 07:20 AM
I agree with Drumgerry get involved with your local association. You don't need to have bees to join but you should get lots of practical hands on expereience if they run apairy sessions during the summer. Most associations also team up new beekeepers with a mentor. We do this in our association and it works well. You help the mentor and get the experience and when the mentor is splitting their hives usually the new beekeeper gets their first bees. Your mentor is also at the end of the phone if you have any difficulty in your first few years. Most of the Scottish associations encourage you to source local bees even if it means you have to wait a bit before you get your bees.

Wallace
13-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Ok, thank you for the information folks and for the welcome... I'll look into the information provided; I have a class with ESBA next week... No doubt i'll be making use of the forum lots this year!!

Cheers,

W.

gavin
13-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Enid is indeed a good contact and there are quite a few beekeepers in your immediate area:

http://www.fifebeekeepers.co.uk/

Both the Fife BA and East of Scotland Beekeepers Association (Dundee, Angus, parts of E Perthshire) have classes that are half-completed, but it sounds like you already have instruction sorted. It is well worth getting to know the Fife beekeepers. This side of the Tay we usually manage to supply our beginners with bees and this spring they seem in good shape so I would imagine there will be a good supply in Fife too.

Edit: Ah! See you on Tuesday!

G.

Wallace
13-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Yes, see you Tuesday!

W.

Enid is indeed a good contact and there are quite a few beekeepers in your immediate area:

http://www.fifebeekeepers.co.uk/

Both the Fife BA and East of Scotland Beekeepers Association (Dundee, Angus, parts of E Perthshire) have classes that are half-completed, but it sounds like you already have instruction sorted. It is well worth getting to know the Fife beekeepers. This side of the Tay we usually manage to supply our beginners with bees and this spring they seem in good shape so I would imagine there will be a good supply in Fife too.

Edit: Ah! See you on Tuesday!

G.