PDA

View Full Version : Honey bees at Scottish Parliment

KVH
06-03-2014, 08:54 PM
On the news yesterday about the Scottish Parliament getting 2 colonies of honey bees this spring. Any comments?

drumgerry
06-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Does KVH stand for Kelvin Valley Honey and if so isn't it you that's putting the two hives into the Scottish parliament? I noticed on the page on the Scottish Government website describing this there were various "facts" mentioned including one that stated 75% of all Scottish colonies died out during 2013. Any idea where these "facts" came from?

EK.Bee
07-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Ok I'll bite, I'm afraid to me it smacks of a cheap publicity stunt.
I think the SP could be doing a lot more than finding a space for a couple of donated hives
Good luck to you with it

gavin
07-03-2014, 12:19 AM
If you look at the Kelvin Valley Honey site, their aims are very laudable and extend to community honey extraction, encouraging craft-scale production, and helping the disadvantaged. If this is done right it could be a *very* good thing. I do worry about comments on 'franchising' and the like, and really hope that this isn't on the back of yet more imported bees - is it?

So I'd like to hear more, KVH, before I pass judgement on their 'facts' and that hover fly on the crowdfunding web site! Yes, I've been Googling. Go on, we need persuading. Persuade us!

EK.Bee
07-03-2014, 01:26 AM
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/visitandlearn/73903.aspx

Says on this info page the bees are Scottish bred. Is this the same as native Scottish bees ? or does it mean for example French bees which settled here recently and subsequently mated taking up Scottish citizenship?

I think stock from Colonsay would have suited the ethos of the parliament & shown support for those trying to promote our native bee (now that's a fine initiative to give credit where its due)

greengumbo
07-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Don't see a problem with this at all. Maybe tone down the "facts" on the website though.

Edit: Having done a bit of reading and talking to people I am now very concerned about this entire initiative.