PDA

View Full Version : Queen substance

chrisjhodges
01-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Can anyone advise the purposes of 9ODA and 9HDA from the Queen and specifically if one is used in the hive ( ie to prevent ovary development in workers) and the other outside ( ie to attract drones).
I am getting confusing info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Comb
01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
from memory 9 ODA attracts drones when mating and 9 HDA stablises the cluster when swarming.
I assume (i.e. check it out) that together they are classed as "queen substance" which prevents worker ovary development.

masterbk
01-02-2014, 03:21 PM
These days the term "queen substance" is only used with regard to the work of Dr Butler. Since then several queen pheromones have been identified so 9 ODA and 9 HDA are collectively referred to these days as Queen Mandibular Pheromone.

9-oxodec-trans-2-enoic acid (9-ODA) Inhibits the building of queen cells . It also inhibits ovary development of the workers ensuring the queen is the only reproductive female in the hive.It is a mating attractant for drones during mating flights and also affects social behaviour of the workers, court behaviour, maintains colony integrity,

9-hydroxy-2-enoic acid (9-HDA)has a calming influence on workers and promotes stability of the swarm

Both 9-HDA and 9-ODA need to be present above threshold levels to suppress ovary development in the workers.
Young Virgins queens can’t make 9-HDA but older virgins can

chrisjhodges
01-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Many thanks
But is the tarsal gland not also responsible for some of the above actions?
(Anhart)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

masterbk
02-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Arnhart glands on the last tarsal segments (5th tarsomere) of the legs of the workers secrete trail pheromone (footprint pheromone) onto the tarsal pads and this is left behind as the bees walk on comb, around the entrance etc. It is an attractant and enhances the effect of the Nasonov pheromone. It also triggers bees to land on flower petals etc previously visited by other bees. While the chemical composition of this oily trail pheromone is not fully determined, it is relatively stable and this stability explains why old well walked on comb is attractive to bees in bait hives etc.

However as you mentioned, the secretions of the tarsal glands of the gueen have a totally different function as they have an inhibitory effect on the building of queen cups/cells. In crowded colonies the queen rarely walks on the bottom edge of combs and this is where these cells are often constructed in preparation for swarming.

While we are on the topic of Q pheromones must mention the tergite glands. Queen tergal gland secretions trigger stinging behaviour of a queen towards another queen particularly in the fight to the death between virgin queens. They also supplement pheromones of the mandibular glands (but are not as volatile & only work in close proximity or direct contact) and increase the queen’s attractivity to worker bees and elicit court behaviour (retinue behaviour). They may also play a part in the attraction of drones during mating.