PDA

View Full Version : Bee gym

snimmo243
29-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Has anyone read the article in Beecraft about the anti varroa Bee gym? I think I'm going to give one a try

http://www.beegym.co.uk/

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

gavin
29-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Has anyone read the article in Beecraft about the anti varroa Bee gym? I think I'm going to give one a try

http://www.beegym.co.uk/

Brilliant! That has to be the bee invention of the decade. Hope it makes a difference. I've turned into a bit of a nomad for now and my Bee Craft is likely to be at a previous abode. I must sort that.

For those who don't click the links here is some encouragement ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EeHZMlh7c8o

snimmo243
30-01-2014, 02:11 AM
Hi Gavin I will try and send you the article if you like? I'm going to try one I don't think it will do any harm

gavin
30-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Kind offer, thanks Steve. I'll be visiting my last abode this weekend and will get back if it doesn't turn up. Did it come in the Jan edition?

snimmo243
30-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Hi Gavin
It's in the Feb edition which o received yestrrday

Trog
30-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Hmm, so how many mites were dislodged? And if they can use this gadget, do they use twigs/stems in the same way when out and about?

gavin
30-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Hmm, so how many mites were dislodged? And if they can use this gadget, do they use twigs/stems in the same way when out and about?

The website shows graphs that suggest a greater fall of mites once the Bee Gym is installed. Not proof that they are using it effectively (there could be other reasons for an enhanced fall) but encouraging. Do they do this when out and about? Why not?! I knew a man who watched an observation hive closely and he swore that he saw bees grooming mites off other bees then flying out, apparently with them about their persons (or bee equivalent).

I'm tempted get a couple myself.

gavin
31-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Given that the stuff falling on the insert under a mesh floor usually retains its 2D position (see here: http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/showthread.php?453-todays-news&p=17081&viewfull=1#post17081), the pattern of this enhanced mite fall should show you which of the various devices in the Bee Gym is being used effectively?

Just a helpful comment for anyone planning to try one out, or even Stuart the inventor should he decide to look in :).

G.

snimmo243
31-01-2014, 12:58 AM
I emailed Stuart today he is waiting on a batch being made up, he says he will email me when they are available, also they are asking for mite drop feedback

Stuart2
31-01-2014, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=gavin;23670]Given that the stuff falling on the insert under a mesh floor usually retains its 2D position (see here: http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/showthread.php?453-todays-news&p=17081&viewfull=1#post17081), the pattern of this enhanced mite fall should show you which of the various devices in the Bee Gym is being used effectively?

Just a helpful comment for anyone planning to try one out, or even Stuart the inventor should he decide to look in :).

Hi Gavin.
I have been looking at mite patterns on sticky boards for 2 years now (daily, it's been quite a slog), when there is high mite fall there are often many more under the position of the Bee Gym, these also have a high ratio of living mites, but it's not as simple as that. I believe that many of the mites are injured and not removed initially. It seems that the Bee Gym encourages grooming in general.

This video is the kind of thing that helped develop the thinking behind the Bee Gym.
http://youtu.be/e7ug8y00GA4

gavin
31-01-2014, 11:51 PM
It seems that the Bee Gym encourages grooming in general.

Many thanks for commenting here Stuart - and thanks to Steven for pointing this out. Tomorrow I should be able to recover my Bee Craft!

I've often wondered what triggers those grooming sessions and whether we can do anything to encourage them. Sometimes many bees take part.

One talk I sometimes give to local associations is on bees developing resistance to Varroa. It is probably outdated now as things have moved on and there are folk apparently with resistant bees in the UK (we've mentioned Welsh ones here recently). Anyway, this is one video used in that talk. Some of the (allo or self) grooming is a joy to see. The one I can't get enough of is the bee which is trying to wipe off a Braula (there are also bees tackling Varroa in the video) and which at 4 min 17 secs finally catches it and stands on three legs whilst using the other three to shift the Braula to the mouthparts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSGa9DKraGA

And if you're thinking that they can't get the more streamlined Varroa, watch the one in the first half of the 7th minute!

snimmo243
14-02-2014, 01:47 PM
I ordered my bee gym today http://www.beegym.co.uk/shop.html

Rosco
15-02-2014, 11:42 AM
I've often wondered what triggers those grooming sessions and whether we can do anything to encourage them.

I have read (or more likely heard at a talk) that dusting with icing sugar encourages grooming.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

snimmo243
15-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi Rosco, I tend do that in the summer alongside drone brood removal
Steven

snimmo243
01-03-2014, 01:51 PM
I placed my Bee gyms today when I get time later I will post my varroa counts and update them as I go for anyone that is interested. Due to the cold weather we didn't follow the advice of lifting the front of the brood box off the floor then inserting the gym, instead we placed two wooden skewers into the entrance, say the gym on these then slid it along them into the brood box then removed the skewers once in position

snimmo243
01-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Here is a spreadsheet of my mite counts

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmsnDV1QSNLqdHViNGtZYW1WWmtPN19hUkpPY3hnd UE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

snimmo243
16-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Just a wee update on the beegym! So far I haven't seen any increase in mite drop, I took the varroa trays out a couple of weeks ago so have stopped counting for now. on the last two or three counts I noticed a lot of pollen on the screen of one of the hives, I suspected that as this was directly below where the gym was that it may be the cause, when I removed the gym it was heavily stained with pollen. Cause? or Coincidence? During the spring build up I didn't want to lose valuable pollen so have left it out of that hive.

Steven

Stuart2
16-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Hi Steven,

Thanks for the update.
I have had feedback this season from other beekeepers all recording large increases in mite drop, since they added the Bee Gym. One of them placed the Gym in the back corner of the floor and had a clear pattern of living mites on the board below the position of the Gym. I think it is important to use Vaseline on the bottom board or the wind blows them away and the live mites can walk away.

It's interesting that you have seen a lot of pollen coming through. Is the Bee Gym in the centre of the floor? Could I suggest that you move it further towards the back of the hive.

Stuart

snimmo243
16-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Hi Stuart
I used the Vaseline following your previous advice. The beegym is in the middle, I will put it on the back at my next inspection and see how it goes, I will also move the other one further back. There may have been an issue with clearance in the hive with lots of pollen in that it was a top Bee space with no runners meaning the frames were sitting lower than they should, this has now been resolved
Steven

Stuart2
13-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Hi Steven,
I just took a look at your spreadsheet, your mite drop is low considering where it was in March. What size is the colony now?
Stuart

snimmo243
13-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Hi Stuart if that's since I updated it yesterday colony 1 is up to 7 frames of brood and 9 of bees, this is in a 10 frames smith box converted to commercial. The population sizes should be on a separate tab. I've not had a chance yet to put the bee gym back k into no2 but will do at next inspection as I need to spend a bit of time looking at some issues in that colony
Steven

Stuart2
13-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Sorry, I just saw your separate Tab. Interesting to see a fall in Varroa over a 6 week period in a strong colony that's building up. Do you have any other hives nearby?

Stuart

snimmo243
13-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Hi Stuart just the two colonies, although there are a lot of apiaries in the vicinity. The varroa trays have been out for a few weeks, doing another count this week then will probably take them out again

Stuart2
14-05-2014, 06:40 AM
I was thinking you might have another hive that could act as some kind of control. I wonder what Varroa levels your neighbouring beekeepers have. I hope your next count is another low one.

Stuart

snimmo243
14-05-2014, 07:43 AM
The other colony has consistently shown a zero count except after oxalic