PDA

View Full Version : Bee magazines

gavin
24-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Gavin - I don't take Bee Craft - maybe I should, should I???

Bee Craft: it is the magazine of the BBKA and so is slanted to English beekeeping. Down south they have to buy their magazine, so it is open to everyone to subscribe to it. The quality of the articles varies quite a lot, but there is usually something worth reading.

Perhaps the standard of beekeeping writing is better in Beekeepers Quarterly, but I've let my subscription lapse. It has a European focus.

Some get American Bee Journal.

I'll move this to a new thread. Anyone else want to comment on the bee journals that hit their door-mat? BEaring in mind of course that you all (almost) receive and cherish the Scottish Beekeeper, an excellent magazine produced by a dedicated and unpaid editor and sent free of charge (covered by your subscription to the SBA) every month without fail to every member.

G.

drumgerry
24-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Just finished a 2 yr sub to Beecraft and I must say it wasn't the best money I've ever spent. It's pretty light on content and generally a dull read IMO. I've taken Beekeepers Quarterly in the past and liked it. But it's (correct me if I'm wrong) about £25 for 4 issues and just doesn't cut it in terms of value. Scottish Beekeeper is fine for what it is - no criticism intended of the laudable effort that goes into it by all concerned. But it's a wee local beekeeping magazine and could benefit from a bigger format and some pictures.

I'd have thought there would be a gap in the seemingly ever expanding beekeeping market for a modern, fun, informative, scientific beekeeping monthly. Every other hobby seems to have its special interest magazine(s) why not beekeeping? I find the beekeeping forums themselves do a better job at keeping their fingers on the pulse than any of the magazines I've read.

Gerry

gavin
24-04-2010, 06:56 PM
On the SB, even the colour on the front stretches the budget available. As it is the main means of communicating with the membership (see how few have found there way here so far - though maybe I should be promoting it more vigorously) the current type of magazine will probably continue. To spend money improving it would I assume mean a fair hike in the subscription, or having a separate subscription for the magazine. Neither seems feasible.

Yes, I take your point about a really attractive beekeeping monthly, perhaps retailing on the shelves. I could see that working too, although with the rise of the internet would it really be sustainable?

Perhaps we just need to boost the informative, fun, scientific aspect of the organs we already have?

Gavin

POPZ
24-04-2010, 07:58 PM
I think the SB is a great little publication. It always seems to contain at least one topical and scottish flavoured article every month. The problem I find with magazines like BeeCraft is all those pestilential adverts that take up so many pages in order to produce a glossy, upmarket looking magazine. Andwhen it actually comes down to it, there is usually only one item of interest and then very generalised.

Not sure Drumgerry, why SB would benefit from more pictures and being in a larger format. But then I guess, simple stupid is what I look for when it comes to learning/instruction.
POPZ

Jon
24-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I joined BIBBA last year so I get 4 copies of Bee Improvement and Conservation for the £20 membership. I think it has some good articles and it seems to have a practical focus. Might suit you folk further north as the AMM/native type bee seems to predominate.

drumgerry
24-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I've thought about joining BIBBA Jon. Maybe I should take the plunge.

Popz - the colour/ larger format thing IMO would make it a bit more user friendly I think. The good articles it carries would I think be more interesting if they were illustrated. Larger format = easier to read. But I agree it's good for what it is and I applaud those who put it together every month. I'm in no way slagging it off!

But don't you wish there was a beekeeping equivalent of, say, Trout and Salmon or the like?

Gerry

gavin
24-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I've just joined BIBBA this very minute. You can do so online, and it was the least I could do after their hospitality last weekend.

Don't you just buy the Trout and Salmon for all those pictures of flies in the adverts?! Anyway, it is Trog that might buy that magazine, Popz's tastes will be more along the lines of Cetacean Spotter's Monthly. :D

G.

drumgerry
24-04-2010, 11:54 PM
T&S maybe wasn't a fair comparison. Much more money in something like that from advertising I'd have thought with all the holiday cottages and fishing people want to flog.

But I keep hearing about the huge upsurge in interest in beekeeping - how beginners classes are overrun with participants, how women are flocking to join our ranks in their droves. No longer is beekeeping the preserve of crusty gentlemen of a certain age! The new vitality that has been injected into the "craft" needs to be reflected in what we're reading. It's there in spade loads when you visit the forums so why not in the magazines as well? Mix that up with articles from experienced beekeepers and information on the latest research presented in an accessible manner and bob's yer uncle!

I must say that I enjoy reading my local association newsletter (check out the Moray Beekeepers website to see it as well) as written by our highly talented secretary Tony Harris much more than most issues of Beecraft I've ever received.

Gerry

gavin
25-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Excellent thoughts, thanks. I'm off to look at the Moray BKA newsletter now! Are there any other Scottish local BKAs regularly producing a newsletter?

Trog
25-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I have to admit I bought my first copy of Trout & Salmon last week, along with a few flyfisher/flytyers mags, in the local charity shop (20p each). I'm more likely to buy Practical Boat Owner on the rare occasions I buy any magazine. Apart from some interesting fly patterns to try next winter, I didn't find them overly interesting - lots of old boys in chest waders and no lady anglers!

Back to the subject: if the SBA mag were to be a larger format it would cost more to post and I quite like the 'handbag size'.

Local BKA newsletters: the Mull BKA has produced one printed and one email newsletter since October and I daresay there will be more. Not so much in the lap of the gods as in the laptop of the secretary ...

drumgerry
25-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Interestingly my OH who is a professional editor of many years experience is in agreement with you about the size of the SBA mag. I took another look through my April edition and the one improvement that could be made IMO is the introduction of images to accompany articles - black and white if there isn't the money for colour. Huge wodges of uninterrupted text are a psychological disincentive to reading from beginning to end.

And on the subject of fishing mags I always prefer to buy Flyfishing and Flytying - T&S a bit too old school I think.

Gerry

Jimbo
25-04-2010, 04:03 PM
On the subject of bee magazines. I have been a member of BIBBA for a number of years and have been impressed by the quality of the magazine sent to their membership. The membership of BIBBA is I think about the same size as the SBA membership and the subscriptions rates are about the same, therefore would it not be a better idea for the SBA to make the current monthly magazine a quartery magazine similar to BIBBA with a view to improving the quality of production.

Jimbo

POPZ
25-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I've just joined BIBBA this very minute. You can do so online, and it was the least I could do after their hospitality last weekend.
Don't you just buy the Trout and Salmon for all those pictures of flies in the adverts?! Anyway, it is Trog that might buy that magazine, Popz's tastes will be more along the lines of Cetacean Spotter's Monthly. :DG.

Yep, done the same and joined BIBBA - looks interesting, especially the amazing gallery of comittee membership photos. Some real worthies there, and they obviously mean some serious stuff - good.

As to Cetacean Spotters Monthly. Anyone who spots (sights!), and that has to be a verified sighting of a whale, gets a mars bar. A whole one at that, and which they are entitled to munch on in front of everyone else. A rare priviledge and vastly superior to any magazine I think. Actually I am not too sure of the connection here but seeing as it is Sunday afternoon

AND I HAVE JUST HEARD OUR FIRST CUCKOO!!

Jimbo
25-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi Popz,

A number of us Scottish BIBBA's are on the hunt for our Scottish native black bee which we know there are some still remaining. We intend to start a survey of Scotland and hope SBA members will submit samples to us for morphometric analysis. More about this in the future ie the SBA are intending to run a morhometic training course this year in Sept/Oct.
I am willing to put up a pack of fun size mars bars or 2 king size mars bars if preferred for the first sample of bees that give a 100% morphometric result for AMM from a Scottish colony

Jimbo

POPZ
25-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Jimbo - now that is the sort of challenge I like to hear about - especially the reward!! I have already sent some samples (not of mars bars!) to Gavin last year, but they arrived with him in a rather parlous state. Maybe I should do it again. Gavin did a great job under the circumstances and apparently my ladies were heading for black but not really there yet. I am getting a nuc of 'pure' Amm this spring, and my neighbour has one colony of 'pure' Amm so maybe we will be heading in the right direction.

However, if as is purported, drones can congregate over 40 miles, there seems little chance of a 100% result?? What about 90% - will that do? I am a real chocoholic and it is getting to be time for a bit of payback from my ladies?
POPZ

gavin
25-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi Jimbo and Popz

Yes indeed. Popz did send me some bees but they were rather sweaty by the time they reached here. A handful of wings rescued from the pile were generally Amm but the sample was very small. I have to confess that I do have some sitting here from Trog on Mull who supplied Popz with his bees, and also some from Wester Ross. Did the disease test part, but haven't yet done the morphometry. The Mull bees were of mixed colour (at least in some colonies) so I doubt that they will be pure.

Great to learn that you are making concrete plans for a Scottish survey. I'll do what I can.

Thanks for the comments regarding magazines Jimbo. All useful suggestions.

Trog
25-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Interestingly my OH who is a professional editor of many years experience is in agreement with you about the size of the SBA mag. I took another look through my April edition and the one improvement that could be made IMO is the introduction of images to accompany articles - black and white if there isn't the money for colour. Huge wodges of uninterrupted text are a psychological disincentive to reading from beginning to end.

And on the subject of fishing mags I always prefer to buy Flyfishing and Flytying - T&S a bit too old school I think.

Gerry

I agree line drawings or b/w photos would be good; also heavier editing of long articles. Might be able to offer occasional drawings if contributors' sketches need to be tidied up as OH is a professional illustrator.

It appears a few of us are flyfishers/tyers. Maybe we ought to start another thread in the blether section?

Jon
25-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Popz.

Anyone who spots (sights!), and that has to be a verified sighting of a whale, gets a mars bar

I spotted a whale and her calf last year off the Pacific coast while I was lying in a hammock with a bottle of Corona in my hand. I claim my Mars bar! This was one I saw the previous year when we went out in a boat looking for them.

I think it is a humpback. We followed it in the launch for at least 15 minutes.

drumgerry
25-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I agree line drawings or b/w photos would be good; also heavier editing of long articles. Might be able to offer occasional drawings if contributors' sketches need to be tidied up as OH is a professional illustrator.

It appears a few of us are flyfishers/tyers. Maybe we ought to start another thread in the blether section?

In terms of images for the SBA mag might I offer another suggestion. For people submitting articles it might be considered a bit of a pressure to submit publication worthy photos as well. What could be done though is something that was done in another society magazine with which I am very familiar. In my working life I breed alpacas and the British Alpaca Society has quite a high powered quarterly mag. Breeders were asked to submit their photos for incorporation into a Society photo archive for use as and when necessary - as far as I know there was a good response. Maybe the membership of the SBA could be asked for similar. When an article required an image or two hopefully the archive could provide. Just a thought.

Trog - I'm pretty much an ex-flyfisher/flytyer as I just don't have as much time to devote to it as it demands. Family and work commitments mean I have to confine my activities to near to home. Bees-wise this is fine as my apiary is in the garden!

Gerry

gavin
25-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Do you take your alpacas to the RHS? If so, we may have exchanged pleasantries.

G.

POPZ
25-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Popz.I spotted a whale and her calf last year off the Pacific coast while I was lying in a hammock with a bottle of Corona in my hand. I claim my Mars bar! This was one I saw the previous year when we went out in a boat looking for them.

I think it is a humpback. We followed it in the launch for at least 15 minutes.

Scrivens Jon - an adult humpback it is, and a very original sighting indeed from hammock and with Corona. I guess I shall have to acknowledge, so if you PM me with some sort of address, you may find breakfast arriving on your doorstep.

PS. Before any other bright spark gets a similar idea, there is only one prize per trip for the first sighting - and this is it!

Trog
25-04-2010, 10:28 PM
What if you don't like Mars bars? I like a good bitter dark chocolate myself :D

Jon
25-04-2010, 10:35 PM
What if you don't like Mars bars?

You are quite right. The last thing my gut needs is a Mars bar.

Stromnessbees
25-04-2010, 10:43 PM
On the subject of bee magazines ... would it not be a better idea for the SBA to make the current monthly magazine a quarterly magazine similar to BIBBA with a view to improving the quality of production.

Jimbo

I find the SBA magazine is not easy to read due to the small print. It might be a good idea to reduce the number of magazines and improve the quality instead, but not to quarterly but to 2-monthly. This would mean half the money for postage and maybe more funding for pictures.

I very much appreciate to have a Scottish magazine, by the way. We need local information and lots of beekeepers are not quite internet ready yet.

Doris

gavin
25-04-2010, 10:56 PM
You are certainly right Doris that the magazine reaches people who wouldn't or can't use the internet. It is the best way that the organisation reaches out to its members. Fora like this are fine (no, great!), and the local association secretaries meeting in the autumn, the council meeting, the autumn convention and the AGM are all good ways for members to interact with the office-bearers and for members to keep up to date on beekeeping issues, but the magazine is the still the best way for most people to keep in touch with beekeeping nationally and internationally.

We'll take all these suggestions to the folk that try to run the SBA and the magazine on behalf of the members. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this comes up for discussion again at our council meeting later in the year, the forum for discussing and agreeing SBA policy.

So - any more views on *other* beekeeping periodicals? Does anyone take any of the American journals and are they worth the money?

all the best

Gavin

drumgerry
25-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Do you take your alpacas to the RHS? If so, we may have exchanged pleasantries.

G.

No but we know the people who do! Showing of our animals isn't a top priority for us right now and others are considering it very carefully as well. Scotland has TB free status and the last thing we'd want to do is bring it into the country.

Gerry