PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Thornes Sale 9th

fatshark
04-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Just seen this advertised on their site ... a day or so after receiving two very large boxes from their Centenary sale. Prices are lower for the Scotland sale. £12 for a super compared to £13.50 in the centenary sale. Not a huge amount in the sale, but the 'seconds' I bought were all in pretty decent shape.

I've managed to hide my recent purchases in the garage for building overwinter. I'll be near Perth on Friday ... Ho Hum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

gavin
04-08-2013, 09:46 AM
I think that Thornes prices are all worked out on the basis of the Barnett Formula ;)

Part of the cross-border settlement when Thornes bought up Scotland's independent beekeeping appliances manufacturer.

fatshark
04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
I think that Thornes prices are all worked out on the basis of the Barnett Formula ;)

Come the revolution you'll be paying import duty on top of the Barnett-free pricing ...

BTW, bought a plunger cage for a quid in the sale. Don't bother. They've changed the design ... the foam plunger is no longer friction-tight (?) and simply falls out unless held in place and the mesh is now rigid plastic and much less queen friendly. However, you will no longer be able to cut the mesh with scissors while clipping a queen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

The Drone Ranger
04-08-2013, 12:37 PM
No Smiths boxes sadly

prakel
04-08-2013, 02:27 PM
No Smiths boxes sadly

I wonder whether there might actually be some there on the day? I've noticed the last two years there have been no dadant boxes mentioned on the advance notification email for the big winter sale, then, when lines open on the day they miraculously appear in the lists.

The Drone Ranger
04-08-2013, 03:19 PM
might be worth giving Brian a ring to check thank Prakel

prakel
04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Also, bit of a longshot here, but I seem to remember Murray McGregor posting a comment on the beekeeping forum last winter to the effect that he's planning on retiring all of his wooden hives this year, apologies if I've misremembered but it may be worth a tentative phone call.

The Drone Ranger
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Also, bit of a longshot here, but I seem to remember Murray McGregor posting a comment on the beekeeping forum last winter to the effect that he's planning on retiring all of his wooden hives this year, apologies if I've misremembered but it may be worth a tentative phone call.
Hope they have all been scorched then
or do they get the radioactive treatment? :)
The best I have seen for quality cedar was £28 I think Thornes £33
If anyone has spotted Smith brood boxes good quality cedar for less I would be interested

prakel
04-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Maybe they'll be used for winter heating then but I really can't (wouldn't want to) speculate on that. Mind, if we were talking about dadants that spec call would have already been made by now.