PDA

View Full Version : Knives and other tools

drumgerry
23-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Never really seen this topic discussed but I know a knife is something I invariably have when doing inspections for cutting out queen cells to use elsewhere etc. Just wondering what people use and what other tools are a boon to your average beekeeper.

For myself I have a little Spyderco folder which I use a lot. Other essentials (apart from the ubiquitous hive tool) are my little plastic queen hair clip thingie and my bee brush is always with me although finding a decent one is a challenge.

Is everyone a dedicated Swiss Army Knife user or am I alone in using something a bit funkier?!

lindsay s
23-07-2013, 10:48 PM
I can’t get a decent pocket knife so I use a kitchen knife. My best bit of kit is a frame rest it keeps them off the ground and gives you plenty of room to work in the hive. I also like my cover cloths especially when working the bees in adverse weather.

The Drone Ranger
23-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Hi Drumgerry
The knife I use is an Opinel with the locking type collar -- very sharp
I think long grass works better than a bee brush (I have one anyway though :) )
http://www.bhipltd.co.uk/opinel-no7-lock-knife.html?___store=default&___store=default

drumgerry
23-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Very interesting guys. It's fascinating to see how many ways beekeepers find to do the same jobs! I take your point about the bee brush DR. Saw a German video and the wifie was using a goose wing. Looked the business if a bit unwieldy. Thought about trying fly tying suppliers to get one but not got round to it yet.

My latest purchase is a Leatherman multi-tool bought on the justification of "it'll be really handy for my beekeeping" !!

drumgerry
23-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Oh and this is my knife

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=663

Bought second hand and certainly not at the new price! I also made a nice wet formed leather sheath for it.

The Drone Ranger
23-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Wow I could buy a light sabre for that price :)
How about a pheasant tail feather goodness knows there's plenty of them lying about

The Drone Ranger
23-07-2013, 11:12 PM
I can’t get a decent pocket knife so I use a kitchen knife. My best bit of kit is a frame rest it keeps them off the ground and gives you plenty of room to work in the hive. I also like my cover cloths especially when working the bees in adverse weather.
Hi Lindsay
I have one of those frame rests really handy

Dark Bee
23-07-2013, 11:47 PM
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................
http://www.bhipltd.co.uk/opinel-no7-lock-knife.html?___store=default&___store=default

If you can get a horsehair bee brush, it is worth having. I do not know if they are available new nowadays, mine came from Swienty, one year at Stoneleigh. A friend bought an excellent one when the personal effects of a Parish Priest were being auctioned:rolleyes:

beejazz
24-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Hi Drumgerry
The knife I use is an Opinel with the locking type collar -- very sharp

I hate bee brushes, and use clumps of grass instead, but like Drumgerry also saw the lady on the German video, and have been trying to get hold of a goose wing. Those Opinel knives are good, I've got a gardening pruner, slips in my back pocket without falling out when not in use.

Black Comb
24-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Oddly enough I've recently been looking for a knife specifically to cut out Queen cells (ones I can use). I carry a small standard blade but find it less the perfect for this job.
I wanted a folding serrated edge so ended up with this, which does the job.
http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/victorinox-2-1-2-folding-knife-serrated-edge.html
I bought from ebay UK but can't find a link at the moment. It fairly small.
They also produce a "sentinel" serrated edge knife but its a lot larger.

I fancy one of those Spyders and might start saving up.

madasafish
24-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Turkey tail feathers are very good. (we have a turkey as a source..)

GRIZZLY
24-07-2013, 07:51 AM
I have a horse hair bee brush bought years ago which the bees definitely don't like as they get snarled up in it. I also have a goose wing from a road victim which doesn't upset the bees at all = it's soft and very gentle on the bees. Goose wing for me every time.

gavin
24-07-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm fortunate (usually - sometimes they are a bit too defensive) to actually have geese in the apiary. Haven't taken a wing off any of them but they do drop flight feathers and they make a good job of wiping bees off comb.

There are also peacocks - the most inquisitive of the fowl present - so I'm planning some beekeeping oneupmanship before long.

The knife discussion was useful, thanks. I'm just an occasional user of kitchen knives when there's a specific need but I may invest in one like DR uses.

Dark Bee
24-07-2013, 09:13 AM
I have a horse hair bee brush bought years ago which the bees definitely don't like as they get snarled up in it. I also have a goose wing from a road victim which doesn't upset the bees at all = it's soft and very gentle on the bees. Goose wing for me every time.

You ought to have ensured that the hair came from a quality horse ;).
Seriously, horsehair is a curious material. I recall going to a lecture hosted by Stubbens; there are tiny hooks on the mane and tail hairs and this is what makes a horsehair body brush (for horses) so effective for removing scurf. when the direction of the hair is reversed the result is a very smooth brushing. I am sceptical of some horsehair brushes actually being made of horsehair, or if they are the donor was a peculiar equine, unknown here in the West :rolleyes:
It should be easy enough to get a goose wing from a farm at Christmas time or from the local wildfowling club.

Jimbo
24-07-2013, 09:15 AM
I can see this discussion will develop into my tool is bigger than your tool!
My old mentor Ben uses a goose wing that works a treat compaired to my crap bee brush which just seems to wind the bees up.

The Drone Ranger
24-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I predict a spate of beekeepers being maimed by irate geese
Go for a Swan that's a real mans beebrush lol

Dark Bee
24-07-2013, 05:27 PM
.................................................. .................................................. ..............................................
There are also peacocks - the most inquisitive of the fowl present - so I'm planning some beekeeping oneupmanship before long.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................

A Blackcocks feather perhaps ? That should keep you ahead of that dreadful Drone Ranger fellow and his swan.

The Drone Ranger
24-07-2013, 08:27 PM
A Blackcocks feather perhaps ? That should keep you ahead of that dreadful Drone Ranger fellow and his swan.
A collies tail might work

gavin
24-07-2013, 09:45 PM
I hear that Murray, thanks to his Balmoral links, has procured a couple of Royal Corgi tails to brush the bees off the comb up there.

Bumble
24-07-2013, 10:16 PM
I predict a spate of beekeepers being maimed by irate geese
Go for a Swan that's a real mans beebrush lol

I've got some swan wing feathers. I didn't have to wrestle swans to get them, my acquisitive nature got the better of me when I saw them on the grass by a local lake.

The Drone Ranger
25-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Looks like Bumble has the ultimate bee brush already
using guile and stealth

I have bee reading Ian Craigs Beekeeping year (again)
He mentions getting honey in sections I've never tried this what sort of stuff and tools needed ?
I have a Smith comb cutter but that is a little messy

madasafish
25-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Peacock would be ideal for brighter beekeeping..

gavin
25-07-2013, 11:41 AM
I have a Smith comb cutter but that is a little messy

Minimal equipment approach for me, and probably less messy. A sharp, thin-bladed kitchen knife - and a second one to scrape the blade clean into a bowl. Line up a cut comb box behind to help judge where to make the cut.

You could use the comb cutter to make light marks on the surface of the comb to guide the knife cuts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

The Drone Ranger
25-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Peacock would be ideal for brighter beekeeping..
FoFl
for the Beau Brummel beekeeper

Gavin have you tried any of the section crates or the round things ?
I wonder what it is the bees don't like about sections (reputedly)
They don't like supers either till they are drawn :)

GRIZZLY
25-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Gavin , just make a card template to cut round for sections.

prakel
13-08-2013, 04:32 PM
.....and there was me thinking that Bill Turnbull's hive tool on 'that' (BBC) programme was the most unwieldy beekeeping tool I'd ever seen.