PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use JzBz 'storage' bars

fatshark
11-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I want to bank some queens and built a truly awful queen banking frame ... I then noticed the JzBz storage bars (Buzzybees shop) that are supposed to take the standard JzBz queen cages, which are what I routinely use. Here's a pic from the JzBz site:

Has anyone used one of these or even got one? How do they work? It looks to me as though the queen cage goes in 'neck' (i.e. the bit you stuff with fondant) downwards. I presume you also need to use the caps that cover the neck of the cage? At a whopping £2 I'll take a punt anyhow, but the queens are likely to be ready before the order arrives.

They are, inevitably, Langstroth-sized ... however, I reckon I can fix that. I have an axe ...

fatshark
12-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Got a reply from Mark ... none in stock, but - yes - they do need capped queen cages.
Mr Bodgit has a weekend project!

drumgerry
12-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Couldn't you mimic the bar minus caps by drilling the right sized holes in a bit of wood? You could either use a proper depth stop on your drill bit or a bit of tape wrapped round the bit - so that you don't drill right through. Drill press would be handy for this job!

fatshark
12-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Sounds like a plan.
I have a drill stand.
I have a power drill.
The drill does not fit the drill stand.
The power drill is partially burnt out from stirring soft set honey last winter.

As I said ... Mr. Bodgit strikes again :rolleyes:

drumgerry
12-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Beekeepers friends - table saw, drill press, plunge cut mitre saw, belt sander, bandsaw. With the table saw and mitre saw you can do just about anything.

And you should be able to achieve a reasonable result with a hand held drill fatshark - with a steady hand!

fatshark
13-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Just back from A+E ... job done. This DIY mullarky is a lot of fun! Pictures of the queen banking frame tomorrow. For those of you who can't stand the suspense you'll need a 16mm drill bit to accommodate the capped neck of a JzBz queen cage.