PDA

View Full Version : Demaree and queen excluders

Mellifera Crofter
07-07-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm trying to help a Langstroth owner to get a nucleus of bees, but my bees (a few hives) are in Langstroth medium boxes. While I'm waiting for a new queen or queen cell, I thought I'll start by getting some of his standard Langstroth brood frames drawn out and filled with brood using a Demaree with my queen and a couple more of my medium frames in the Langstroth below the original all-medium hive. What bothers me are the drones above the queen excluder.

We've talked about the poor drones many times before. I can make a frame with a door to fit above the queen excluder or - and this is my question - can I use a plywood queen excluder with some slots or holes cut into it as described by David Cushman (http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/excludertypes.html)? Do you think the drones will use those slots to go down to the bottom box?

Kitta

fatshark
08-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Kitta
Can't you do a Bailey comb change which is like a Demaree in reverse? Brood below the QE, queen and fresh foundation above.

Black Comb
08-07-2013, 09:37 AM
I agree with FS. Bailey will have foundation above, so rising heat will help draw.

Mellifera Crofter
08-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks Fatshark and Black Comb. I think you're right. I'll change the boxes around and feed - but the problem with the drones remain. I'll try out a plywood excluder and see if it helps.

Kitta

Mellifera Crofter
08-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Kitta
Can't you do a Bailey comb change which is like a Demaree in reverse? Brood below the QE, queen and fresh foundation above.

Oh - brood below the excluder ... Yes, most will be there in a Bailey apart from the original comb with brood which I have used to help the queen and give her a start in laying. But yes, come to think of it - there weren't any drone cells on that comb and it will probably take a while before she lays drones again. Thanks again - I'll change the boxes today.
Kitta