PDA

View Full Version : Visits to Nursery Schools

EmsE
24-06-2013, 09:25 PM
One of our local nursery schools have asked if someone could go visit them to talk to the 3-5 year old children about honey bees. What would you include in your chat with them and what props would you take along for them to investigate. Observation hives will be out of the question:p
I won't be able to do it myself (working during opening hours) but wouldn't mind helping whoever does attend to prepare. I thought if I could refer them to some ideas from a suitable source like, erm, here;) I'd have better look at someone being willing to go along.

The next challenge may be to persuade them that children don't eat adults for breakfast- but I'm not that good a liar (heehee)

Ems

drumgerry
24-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Not done a talk to such young kids but I know some who have. I believe a demo of the waggle dance and getting the kids to do it goes down well!

fatshark
24-06-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm going to use this at my next demo ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRoAaQq6wFg
You might have to read it to young 'uns but it would be a lot of fun.

The Drone Ranger
24-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Hi EmsE
http://player.stv.tv/programmes/news-at-six-dundee-tayside/2013-05-29-1800/
This is from the STV player
You need to put up with the adverts then drag the slider up to 12:30min into the program
Claverhouse group teaching primary kids about bees
Worth getting ideas from hope this helps

gavin
24-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Didn't know Wendy had branched out into schools visits. She'll be great at it!

I've done pre-school nursery classes in Dundee and various primary classes in Dundee, Invergowrie, Liff and Perth. Some of the older kids were very well informed, some schools have a formal atmosphere where the kids sit and put their hands up, but the nursery classes were usually informal and fun. With the pre-school kids you really struggle to hold their attention for long so be prepared for them to wander off even when things are going really well.

The best fun was taking in a hive, tools, smoker, and a bag of plastic spoons - just as Wendy did. I had a frame of emerging brood and a container to collect up the fuzzy newly hatched ones. We did this outside on a sunny day. I was confident that the newly hatched bees would not sting, and if they tried they would have no venom. Kids wandered around in awe of the 'just born' bees on their fingers. I had a couple of frames of honey in the super and laid out newspaper and invited the kids to come and get it! I let them attack the comb with a plastic spoon - and ended up very sticky but it went brilliantly.

That particular pre-school class did have a PC and YouTube available but the concept of the waggle dance was a bit much - for the class I was at anyway. It was the hands-on stuff that really got them going.

The Drone Ranger
25-06-2013, 08:05 AM
My favourite quote when asked "Do you like honey"
The little lad says "Nooo I like Krrisppss"

greengumbo
25-06-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm going to a local primary 3 class on friday to give a wee chat about bees. Not really got much experience at this age group but I am going to bring the bee suit, gloves and an old wbc hive with me for them to play with. Might try and get them to figure out a waggle dance and tell them about some plants they can get their folks to plant in the gardens. Any other ideas most appreciated !

greengumbo
25-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Didn't know Wendy had branched out into schools visits. She'll be great at it!

I've done pre-school nursery classes in Dundee and various primary classes in Dundee, Invergowrie, Liff and Perth. Some of the older kids were very well informed, some schools have a formal atmosphere where the kids sit and put their hands up, but the nursery classes were usually informal and fun. With the pre-school kids you really struggle to hold their attention for long so be prepared for them to wander off even when things are going really well.

The best fun was taking in a hive, tools, smoker, and a bag of plastic spoons - just as Wendy did. I had a frame of emerging brood and a container to collect up the fuzzy newly hatched ones. We did this outside on a sunny day. I was confident that the newly hatched bees would not sting, and if they tried they would have no venom. Kids wandered around in awe of the 'just born' bees on their fingers. I had a couple of frames of honey in the super and laid out newspaper and invited the kids to come and get it! I let them attack the comb with a plastic spoon - and ended up very sticky but it went brilliantly.

That particular pre-school class did have a PC and YouTube available but the concept of the waggle dance was a bit much - for the class I was at anyway. It was the hands-on stuff that really got them going.

Was the honey tasting okay to do or did the teachers get a bit jumpy Gav ? I guess I could just ask.

gavin
25-06-2013, 06:47 PM
I just did it I think. Gave them all a clean spoon. The only concerns were to clean off the stickiness before their carers noticed the mess they were in!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

gavin
25-06-2013, 06:51 PM
There was one bright class of P2s I showed videos to as well as pass round a live Apidea with the perspex lid taped down. Got them to guess what the dorso-ventral abdominal vibration signal was for!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

EmsE
25-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys,

It's great to have some fun options to start from.

Ems

chris
26-06-2013, 09:08 AM
The following gives an idea of another approach that apparently works well, though I have never tried it. It needs a few props, some imagination, and to be carefully thought out beforehand. It is a *game of roles* based on the different tasks the bees perform. The pictures should give an overall idea, though the captions are in french. Funny, it also ends with the children tasting the honey.(Can't say Krrissppss like that in french).

http://www.ruchetronc.fr/images/pdf/ENTRE_DANS_LA_RUCHE.pdf