PDA

View Full Version : Ferals

gavin
15-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Magnus has sent round his reminders for feral-watchers to make their April reports.

Is there anyone else out there with a wild or feral colony in their area? Get in touch and I can put you in contact with Magnus for those who don't know him already.

G.

POPZ
18-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Good afternoon from a lovely sunny pm in the deep south - London. Odd sort of place, but at least they do have the odd bee here as several spotted today in various places.

Regarding ferals, I have no evidence as yet but have a 'feeling' that there should be a feral colony in my area. So please let Magnus know (whoever Magnus is?) and maybe I can be of help in becoming a 'think there may be a feral' watcher here?
POPZ

gavin
23-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Popz

SBA volunteers have been monitoring known sites for a few years now. England and Wales are now doing the same as you may have seen in a recent Bee Craft. So if you find a site and would like to take part Magnus will remind you in April and September to check to see if the colony is alive. He publishes occasional reports in the magazine and is building a picture of how persistent the colonies are, as well as data on the sites themselves. John McLean, you may recall, knows of several long-term colonies in his area, and his observations were a major reason for starting the survey.

So if you can find a free-living colony on Mull that would be very interesting. As far as I know the sites recorded are all on the mainland. Try watching some bees leaving flowers and note the direction of flight. Or use a feeder dish. Bee-lining seems like a great way to waste a lot of time (which I know neither you nor I have in abundance!), and you probably know about the various boxes and contrivances people use.

POPZ
23-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Gavin - I don't take Bee Craft - maybe I should, should I???

I did try bee-lining last year, but as you say, it became too time consuming and I have no idea whether it worked or not. I think we all should be granted a bee day a week!! A day in which we can all spend time trying to do our little bit for the planet and go bee hunting/spotting/searching for ferals. Surely a potential source of goodies in the form of disease resistance, hardiness, etc etc. And just imagine having the time to roam the countryside at will in the summer. Mind boggling thought!

Weather has closed down a bit over here. Wet and much cooler, although I see by the forecast, that things should be warming up over the next few days but staying wet Sunday onwards.

Bridget
14-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Gavin
I realise this is an old thread but re ferals I have friends who have bees in their roof that have been there as long as they have lived there (25 yrs) and longer. It's a big house and the bees are on the top floor which is rarely used so they have been left alone. Reading your thread I thought I should let Magnus know if you have contact details. I would have pm'd you but I'm afraid the new version of Tapatalk on my iPad is a bit of a guddle and the pm bit seems to be hidden away somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gavin
14-02-2015, 12:29 AM
Sounds interesting. I've PMed you Magnus' email addresses so you should also get an email with them.

G.

Poly Hive
14-02-2015, 10:40 PM
I have a "bee tree" which has been populated to my ken for five years.

Beecraft can be very good, Clive de Bruyn is currently running very good articles on Queen rearing and I am mercifully absent....lol

PH